Appreciation Of China's Liaoning Fossils

China's Liaoning fossils

Enjoy bird fossils. Unearthed in Liaoning Province in China, which is Jehol Biota, formed in the Late Jurassic - Early Cretaceous period, 1.2 billion years ago.

post-1467-1238681923_thumb.jpg

Guest solius symbiosus

Did you prep that, or did it split out like that?

That kind of makes the idiom "two birds with one stone" irrelevant. Haha! Perhaps, one bird with two stones is now apropos.

Enjoy bird fossils. Unearthed in Liaoning Province in China, which is Jehol Biota, formed in the Late Jurassic - Early Cretaceous period, 1.2 billion years ago.

The matrix and the state of preservation is consistent with the Liaoning fossils from the Yixian formation; without close examination I cannot go further than to opine that it appears to be genuine (though I cannot judge the ammount of restoration from a picture). By size alone, it could be Liaoxornis delicatus (the smallest known Mesozoic bird), but again I cannot do more with a picture.

(BTW, radiometric dating has placed the Yixian formation at 121-125 MYA, which would be .12 billion years ago).

It is a wonderful fossil; thank you for posting the picture, I enjoy it very much! :)

"There has been an alarming increase in the number of things I know nothing about." - Ashleigh Ellwood Brilliant

“Try to learn something about everything and everything about something.” - Thomas Henry Huxley

>Paleontology is an evolving science.

>May your wonders never cease!

Are the feathers actually partially preserved or are they drawn on to the stone? cool fossil!

Bird fossils from this location often have well-defined feather "smears". They are carbonized remains preserved in part by the action of bacteria.

My specimen is not as good:

post-423-1238688133_thumb.jpg

"There has been an alarming increase in the number of things I know nothing about." - Ashleigh Ellwood Brilliant

“Try to learn something about everything and everything about something.” - Thomas Henry Huxley

>Paleontology is an evolving science.

>May your wonders never cease!

Very interesting fossil, I would enjoy seeing more.

If you believe everything you read, perhaps it's time for you to stop reading...