A Field Trip To Saint Clair, Pa

PA Fossil Finder

First of all, I would like to thank the Reading Anthracite Company for graciously allowing us access to their property near Saint Clair, PA. Our fossil hunt was a blast, and I would also like to thank the two Reading Anthracite employees who showed us how to get there, as well as directed us down the trail to the site itself. My family, as well as some other homeschooling friends, were allowed access to the site for our homeschool field trip. I handed out some pictures of ferns we might find, as well as some other general information about the Pennsylvanian period and PA coal mining, and then we walked down the trail to the site. We poked around some of the broken shale near the entrance, but it wasn't really that great. However, once we walked further into the site we started finding ferns like crazy. We found plenty of Alethopteris, a few Neuropteris pinnules and and a few other plants. We took some of the larger shale chunks from other peoples' old holes and split those, and we got some great ferns. My favorites are probably some of the nice Sphenophyllum stems and leaves I found! They weren't as common as ferns, but I love the look of all the little leaves arranged along the stem like that. We picked up some great ferns from the more weathered stone, but near the end of our fossil hunt I walked to the other end of the fossil site. I was annoyed that I had spent all my time closer to the entrance, because when I walked further in I found a lot better preserved ferns. I grabbed as many as I could carry, walked back to my backpack, but then we had to leave. We had an awesome fossil hunt, and we couldn't have asked for better weather. Hopefully, I taught my friends and family at least something about fossils from this trip :P

It is getting dark now, but tomorrow I'll take some photos of the fossils. For now, here's a pic of the site:

post-10984-0-34450200-1442619115_thumb.jpg

I am very glad that they allowed us access to the site. We were allowed access because it was an educational school field trip, but this gives me hope for other closed sites. Maybe, by setting an example of good fossil hunters, these sites may once again be opened. We can only hope! :fingers crossed:

• I found this Informative 1

Stephen

I am really glad that you were able to take the kids to this storied location

Three cheers for Reading Anthracite for allowing it!

• I found this Informative 1

"There has been an alarming increase in the number of things I know nothing about." - Ashleigh Ellwood Brilliant

“Try to learn something about everything and everything about something.” - Thomas Henry Huxley

>Paleontology is an evolving science.

>May your wonders never cease!

I'm glad you had an enjoyable and productive trip. Thank you for the interesting report and thanks for being a goodwill ambassador for the great majority of responsible fossil hunters.

Start the day with a smile and get it over with.

Last month one way, this month another way, sheeshsssss. :(:wacko::blink::faint:

I'm glad you were able to get in with the kids. At least there is hope for the future, for a great area. :thumbsu:

Kudos to the property owners, Reading Anthracite, for their generosity and good will.

The human mind has the ability to believe anything is true.  -  JJ

I am really glad that you were able to take the kids to this storied location

I'm glad you were able to get in with the kids. At least there is hope for the future, for a great area. :thumbsu:

Actually, I'm one of those kids that was taken on the trip. :P I planned most of it, then my parents drove my siblings and I to the site with our friends. :D

Anyway, here are some pictures of the fossils I found:

This is a nice Sphenophyllum, I think.

post-10984-0-10283500-1442675382_thumb.jpg

I'm pretty sure this is a seed (Trigonocarpus?), but its huge!

post-10984-0-84458000-1442675439_thumb.jpg post-10984-0-33114400-1442675453_thumb.jpg

More pictures to come...

Stephen

More seeds!

I'm pretty sure this is another seed, with a Sphenophyllum on top:

post-10984-0-58983100-1442675585_thumb.jpg post-10984-0-86241300-1442675597_thumb.jpg

I think these little oval-shaped round things are small seeds too Stigmaria root (thanks Shamalama for the ID!):

post-10984-0-96502200-1442675608_thumb.jpg

Edited by PA Fossil Finder

Stephen

I really like this plate, the Neuropteris leaf is huge!

post-10984-0-99240500-1442675793_thumb.jpg post-10984-0-41352700-1442675782_thumb.jpg

Well, that is all for now. I'll get more pictures later!

Stephen

Actually, I'm one of those kids that was taken on the trip. :P I planned most of it, then my parents drove my siblings and I to the site with our friends. :D

Well done! I am very impressed by your "gumption", and I am sure that I am not alone in this :)

"There has been an alarming increase in the number of things I know nothing about." - Ashleigh Ellwood Brilliant

“Try to learn something about everything and everything about something.” - Thomas Henry Huxley

>Paleontology is an evolving science.

>May your wonders never cease!

I think these little oval-shaped round things are small seeds too:

attachicon.gifSeed #3.JPG

Those oval shaped round things belong to a root, from one of the great trees that used to tower over the swamp, and is called Stigmaria. You can sometimes find them in situ in the rock stretching for many feet.

• I found this Informative 2

-Dave

Geologists on the whole are inconsistent drivers. When a roadcut presents itself, they tend to lurch and weave. To them, the roadcut is a portal, a fragment of a regional story, a proscenium arch that leads their imaginations into the earth and through the surrounding terrain. - John McPhee

If I'm going to drive safely, I can't do geology. - John McPhee

Check out my Blog for more fossils I've found: http://viewsofthemahantango.blogspot.com/

Congratulations. Your finds remind me why I miss that place so much. How do I join your home school? Is there an age limit?

Those oval shaped round things belong to a root, from one of the great trees that used to tower over the swamp, and is called Stigmaria. You can sometimes find them in situ in the rock stretching for many feet.

Ah, that makes sense. Yes, in some areas where runoff water had washed the rock clean, we saw some very long roots and branches. I wish I could have collected them! I can't believe I forgot to take some pictures of the huge fossils embedded in the rock :blink:

Stephen

Last month one way, this month another way, sheeshsssss. :(:wacko::blink::faint:

Actually Ziggie I think the one question that wasn't answered in all of those earlier threads was if groups could still gain access. This is excellent information to know. There are certainly a handful of clubs who will hopefully also get in. Just a shame for the casual collectors.

Actually Ziggie I think the one question that wasn't answered in all of those earlier threads was if groups could still gain access. This is excellent information to know. There are certainly a handful of clubs who will hopefully also get in. Just a shame for the casual collectors.

The person that I mentioned was one of the board members of our large fossil club and is one of the main people involved in setting up, and getting permission for our club to get access to fossil sites. We have a good rapport with many restricted areas, but that was not important last month. Things always change, so when we are turned down for access to an area, be polite and accept it for now. When you try again they may remember your politeness, and the answer may change. Always be polite and courteous.

Ziggie,

I'm finding your posts kind of cryptic. You didn't mention any person, at least in this thread. If I read between the lines it sounds as though your club asked for permission and was denied. Do I have that right?

Don

Ziggie,

I'm finding your posts kind of cryptic. You didn't mention any person, at least in this thread. If I read between the lines it sounds as though your club asked for permission and was denied. Do I have that right?

Don

Exactly what i'm wondering as well. Did we miss something in the earlier threads?

Hi guys, OK I'll clear it up some; The Vp of our fossil club drove out to St.Clair to check out the fossil hunting situation, a 350 mile ride from Clev Ohio. A short time after he started fossil hunting, (he had been there before), Security showed up and told him that he would have to leave immediately. He talked to the guard for a while, and he said that they were no longer allowing fossil hunting there. He got the owner's contact info and left. This was the info I had as of august 15, 2015.

Last month I mentioned to him that on the FF many people were confused about the situation at St. Clair and he told me he was planning a trip out there that day, and let me know what came out of his trip. So I posted the info about the site. I am glad that they let PA and his group in, that is a beginning.

It is a great Fossil site.

• 1 month later...

Hi guys, OK I'll clear it up some; The Vp of our fossil club drove out to St.Clair to check out the fossil hunting situation, a 350 mile ride from Clev Ohio. A short time after he started fossil hunting, (he had been there before), Security showed up and told him that he would have to leave immediately. He talked to the guard for a while, and he said that they were no longer allowing fossil hunting there. He got the owner's contact info and left. This was the info I had as of august 15, 2015.

Last month I mentioned to him that on the FF many people were confused about the situation at St. Clair and he told me he was planning a trip out there that day, and let me know what came out of his trip. So I posted the info about the site. I am glad that they let PA and his group in, that is a beginning.

It is a great Fossil site.

Ok so is it now open again or closed or do we have to contact them in advance for access?

Ok so is it now open again or closed or do we have to contact them in advance for access?

From what I can understand, access is granted only to school groups, and you have to contact Reading Anthracite.

School groups have to contact them in advance, and ask for permission. Apparently, a mineral club have asked for permission to access the site, and it was denied.

Regards,

Tim    -  VETERAN SHALE SPLITTER

MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png      PaleoPartner.png.30c01982e09b0cc0b7d9d6a7a21f56c6.png.a600039856933851eeea617ca3f2d15f.png     Postmaster1.jpg.900efa599049929531fa81981f028e24.jpg    VFOTM.png.f1b09c78bf88298b009b0da14ef44cf0.png  VFOTM  --- APRIL - 2015  

John Muir ~ ~ ~ ~   ><))))( *>  About Me      

THX everyone for the updates. Expas, just tried to save you a trip and keep everyone updated on this great fossil place, now in limbo.