The 10 Leggers

RJB

One of my first crab sites had a crab known as Orbitoplax weaveri. I was in heaven and let almost all my other interest go for a few years. These little weaveri's were in small and very hard concretions, but it was tuff to find a complete one. The legs would amost always extend past the outer part of the concretion. After about a dozen trips at this site in Oregon I finaly found another site with the same crab, but in bigger concretions. Here are some pics of some of the crabs I found at this first site. RB

Oh, these cute little buggers are Eocene in age.

post-171-1199715497_thumb.jpg

post-171-1199715530_thumb.jpg

post-171-1199715665_thumb.jpg

post-171-1199715735_thumb.jpg

After about 3 years I finaly found this 2nd site that had much better crabs even though they are the same Genus and species. The concs were much bigger and the rock much nicer to work with. Here are some pics of my second site. RB

post-171-1199716096_thumb.jpg

post-171-1199716127_thumb.jpg

post-171-1199716164_thumb.jpg

post-171-1199716190_thumb.jpg

Gotta love those crabs! The mode of preservation on yours is excellent. Most of the Texas Cretaceous crabs I've found aren't that complete, although with due diligence complete carapaces can be had here.

Grüße,

Daniel A. Wöhr aus Südtexas

"To the motivated go the spoils."

What cool little devils! You have found some great ones.

When you say 3 years later you found that second hunting site,

was it hit and miss trying to find a new site? I guess what I am wondering,

did you just drive around looking for formations that might produce the crabs

and finally struck the gold?

Welcome to the forum!

yep, what Anson said!! :lol: :lol:

got any pictures of the site where they came from? im just interested to see what an outcrop that yeilds these 'crab concretions' look like.... :huh:

"Turn the fear of the unknown into the excitment of possibility!"

We dont stop playing because we grow old, we grow old because we stop playing.

Gotta love those crabs! The mode of preservation on yours is excellent. Most of the Texas Cretaceous crabs I've found aren't that complete, although with due diligence complete carapaces can be had here.

Hey Dan. Ive heard of a crab there in texas, (some kind of raninid I think) that sometimes can be found almost complete by some dam? I actualy have some, but have no idea as to where they are at at the moment. By any chance do you find any 'almost complete' crabs down there? RB

What cool little devils! You have found some great ones.

When you say 3 years later you found that second hunting site,

was it hit and miss trying to find a new site? I guess what I am wondering,

did you just drive around looking for formations that might produce the crabs

and finally struck the gold?

Hey Roz, believe it or not, I found my second site at a rock shop. I always go into whatever rock shops I pass on my trips just to see what they have or if I can get any good info. This guy had 2 or 3 crab concs sittin on a shelf in his shop, and apon closer inspection I could tell they were the same crabs I was finding but in a state of much better preservation. I really doughted he would tell me where his spot was, but he was as nice and freindly and accomodating as anyone could be. In fact he really didnt like them because they needed lots of prep and he didnt have a clue how, so they were almost worthless to him. He said they didnt sell very well. HA!! Anyways the rest is history. RB

yep, what Anson said!! :lol: :lol:

got any pictures of the site where they came from? im just interested to see what an outcrop that yeilds these 'crab concretions' look like.... :huh:

Hey Kauffy, I dont think I have any pics of these two sites, but I do have a pic of another site that I will get to shortly. But hey, I was reading your sites post in Ausi land and I got purty dang excited. I will be in your neck of the woods this october visiting family and enjoying my 50th. I would love to meet up with you if possible? Can you imagine the gifts I could bring for a good fossil guide? Hint,,,Hint,,, RB

Once I really started finding and prepping crabs, I was on the lookout for any crab information that I could find and found some sites in Washington eventualy. Again, I was in heaven and fell in love with the crabs! Nothing else matterd for a few years. I ate, breathed and dreamed of crabs! Here are some pics of a crab known as Pulalius vulgaris. (spelling?) Eocene

RB

post-171-1199797958_thumb.jpg

post-171-1199797992_thumb.jpg

post-171-1199798028_thumb.jpg

post-171-1199798071_thumb.jpg

Nice find. Great job on cleaning that thing. How much time did you have in the prep?

Im guessing, but I would think about 13 to 15 hours.

RB

So...paying yourself a hefty fifty cents an hour you would be willing to let these guys go for say $6 each or $5 if purchased in quantity? ;0)

I always enjoy looking at great fossils and like the stages of progression pics!

I suppose since they were in concretions, that is what makes the percentage higher,

of the lil guys being complete with spread out claws.

Welcome to the forum!

I always enjoy looking at great fossils and like the stages of progression pics!

I suppose since they were in concretions, that is what makes the percentage higher,

Hello everybody,

I want adding also few photos of preparation stages, but I'm asking me... :blink: what where doing those crabs? always with the pants and panties down... bad behaviour????? always the same :(

What do you think, man????

MB

post-41-1199817460_thumb.jpg

post-41-1199817483_thumb.jpg

post-41-1199817519_thumb.jpg

post-41-1199817553_thumb.jpg

So...paying yourself a hefty fifty cents an hour you would be willing to let these guys go for say $6 each or $5 if purchased in quantity? ;0)

Hey Jim. I could easily let these go for 5 bucks each in quanity, but there is one heck of a "processing' fee involved!!!

Hey Roz. It certainly helps with the bigger concs, but you still have to go through lots of concretions usualy to get one good one? You just never know. Ive seen guys find 20 or 30 concs and get almost nothing but a piece here and there. You just never know. Lots of luck is a good thing, but just being out there hunting is most important and to keep trying.

RB

Here is a pic of 6 or 7 crab concs sittin on a cliff just begging to be plucked, but the sad thing was, these are about 100 feet up the cliff and impossible to reach. Believe me, I felt like cryin!!! and another pic of a bunch of crab concs from different locations. We started in Oregon, then to washington and up into canada for some cretaceous crabs. It was a wonderful trip, but very cold. very wet and sometimes snowy. We went in January!

post-171-1199824289_thumb.jpg

post-171-1199824341_thumb.jpg

and now for what I used to call the 'weirdo' crabs. These two crabs are some sort of raninids, both from Oregon, but different locals, and eocene in age. Enjoy

RB

post-171-1199824806_thumb.jpg

post-171-1199824864_thumb.jpg

Hello everybody,

I want adding also few photos of preparation stages, but I'm asking me... :blink: what where doing those crabs? always with the pants and panties down... bad behaviour????? always the same :(

What do you think, man????

MB

Mb, another poster with amazing prepping skills.

Is that a horse crab? It was the only one online and I saw with a segmented-looking tail section.

Then I was reading, a horse shoe crab isn't really a crab at all. The tails were used to go through

the mud, and I think to turn them back if they turned over.

Anyway the article was interesting to me..

Here is the link..horse shoe crab info

Welcome to the forum!

Those weirdo crabs are really shaped differently than I have seen before. It's carapace is

almost beetle-like. I see why you were so focused on crabs.

Welcome to the forum!