Fossil Id Help

jggordo

Hey jggordo, Our posts are side by side and neither has received a comment. Is TFF against Minnesotans? Ha ha. I will venture a guess as the fossil aspect is a piece of recepticulite but its unique look leaves me baffled. At least this will bring your post to the front page again.

This fossil was found while agate hunting, I thought I found an agate, but quickly realized it was something else. Has rectangular grid pattern like holes. It does resemble texture and color of an agate. Horn or honeycom coral are the only similar pictures I could find, just not this color. Found in Minnesota on past Sunday Meeker County. Thanks for any help

post-19694-0-16464100-1442928654_thumb.jpg

post-19694-0-11263700-1442928680_thumb.jpg

post-19694-0-79716100-1442928698_thumb.jpg

The color of fossils can very quite a lot, just like agate, dependent on the minerals in the deposite. Also agate is a common replacement material for fossils.

It looks like an agatized coral... nice find.

Tony

• I found this Informative 1

Darwin said: " Man sprang from monkeys."

Will Rogers said: " Some of them didn't spring far enough."

My Fossil collection - My Mineral collection

My favorite thread on TFF.

The color of fossils can very quite a lot, just like agate, dependent on the minerals in the deposite. Also agate is a common replacement material for fossils.

It looks like an agatized coral... nice find.

Tony

. Thanks Tony

Tabulated coral. I personally don't see any signs of it being agatized. Your pics are too blurry.

~Charlie~

"There are those that look at things the way they are, and ask why.....i dream of things that never were, and ask why not?" ~RFK
->Get your Mosasaur print
->How to spot a fake Trilobite
->How to identify a CONCRETION from a DINOSAUR EGG

Jim, I combined your topics about the same find. ;)

Looking at your photos reminds me of breakfast. :P

The human mind has the ability to believe anything is true.  -  JJ

Hey jggordo, Our posts are side by side and neither has received a comment. Is TFF against Minnesotans? Ha ha. I will venture a guess as the fossil aspect is a piece of recepticulite but its unique look leaves me baffled. At least this will bring your post to the front page again.

Not antiminnesotan by any means. (I come from fine Norwegian/Lutheran/Minnesotan stock). It's kind of a mob mentality. It takes a while to build but once someone comments, we all pile on. So, here's my addition to the pile...

It looks like some kind of bryzoan to me.

Thanks.

I really think we need a shot of this when it's dry and with something for scale. The shape seems more fenestrate (bryozoan) than tabulate to me, but it's hard to get a sense of depth and the finer structure of the walls.

Here is a dry picture, little bigger than a penny. About 1.2 oz. Holes are rectangular grid like. Thanks for helping,Jim.

I couldn't add pictures to post already in forum, sorry I had to create new post

post-19694-0-28217100-1443063644_thumb.jpg

Sorry I can't help you out with the ID, but I can with posting. If you reach your limit, you can reply to your own post. Just click on the "More Reply Options" button in the "Reply to this topic" window.

It will be interested to see what the experts say about your find!

Sorry I can't help you out with the ID, but I can with posting. If you reach your limit, you can reply to your own post. Just click on the "More Reply Options" button in the "Reply to this topic" window.

It will be interested to see what the experts say about your find!

thank you

It looks like a old wheat thin...... :P Sorry I just couldn't resit . I think it might be a ray plate of some kind with out the crushing teeth.

Tony
The Brooks Are Like A Box Of Chocolates,,,, You Never Know What You'll Find.

I Told You I Don't Have Alzheimer's.....I Have Sometimers. Some Times I Remember

And Some Times I Forget.... I Mostly Forget.

Jim, I combined your topics again. The advice to use the More Reply Options will allow you to add more images. :)

The human mind has the ability to believe anything is true.  -  JJ

It's not the most common presentation, and I'm not sure if it's due to the coralite shape or just the way it's exposed, but I think it is most likely a favositid coral. If you can find anything that looks like it may have been pores through the walls it would help to confirm it.

So what period of time is this fossil, and did glaciers probably move it to central Minnesota where I found this. Thanks,Jim

Thank you all for the help :)

Favositids were very long ranging - Ordovician to Permian - and they all look rather similar to each other. They're not very good index fossils unless someone can recognise the species. :)

Edited by TqB

Tarquin