Some Rocks From My Collection-- All Fossils

ynot

Along with the agate and petrified wood it is possible to find agatized stromatolite fossils there.

A slice of one of the pieces that I found...

post-16416-0-74107100-1448167332_thumb.jpg

And a uncut piece...

post-16416-0-13337100-1448167419_thumb.jpgpost-16416-0-85415700-1448167444_thumb.jpg

More...

Darwin said: " Man sprang from monkeys."

Will Rogers said: " Some of them didn't spring far enough."

My Fossil collection - My Mineral collection

My favorite thread on TFF.

And one more piece of stromatolite from the Yellowstone rive near Terry Montana...

post-16416-0-58133700-1448167669_thumb.jpgpost-16416-0-97853300-1448167690_thumb.jpgpost-16416-0-06724500-1448167699_thumb.jpg

Next the trip home...

Thanks for looking!

Tony

On the way home from the roundup I stopped at a place in southwest Wyoming called "the Blue Forest". (Thanks to Auspex i know that it is an eocene age deposit.) There is some nice agatized wood there, but You have to work hard to get to it. The wood is buried up to 4 feet under the desert pan in a layer of calcified algae that looks a lot like caliche.

I found a fair amount of pieces but only two "limb cast rounds"

post-16416-0-13634300-1448234630_thumb.jpgpost-16416-0-05698900-1448234661_thumb.jpgpost-16416-0-41457200-1448234731_thumb.jpg

more...

This is a fossil that I forgot to add in the correct order. I found it in some Tertiary river gravels near Lodi California. It was a single find.

post-16416-0-61262600-1448235300_thumb.jpgpost-16416-0-09359100-1448235315_thumb.jpgpost-16416-0-52990700-1448235329_thumb.jpgpost-16416-0-57351500-1448235341_thumb.jpgpost-16416-0-95152400-1448235353_thumb.jpgpost-16416-0-84281500-1448235365_thumb.jpg

I know that it is an iron oxide concretion, but it is also a bone cast.

That completes My story up to the time period when I found The Fossil Forum.

My next fossil hunting trip was to the Aurora (North Carolina) Fossil Museum spoils piles thanks to the information I got here!!!

Thank You for taking the time to look at this Thread!!!

I hope that Y'All enjoyed it!

Tony

• I found this Informative 1

I've really enjoyed getting to know you through your fossils and their stories, Tony. I'm glad you took the time to put this topic together :)

"There has been an alarming increase in the number of things I know nothing about." - Ashleigh Ellwood Brilliant

“Try to learn something about everything and everything about something.” - Thomas Henry Huxley

>Paleontology is an evolving science.

>May your wonders never cease!

I've really enjoyed getting to know you through your fossils and their stories, Tony. I'm glad you took the time to put this topic together :)

Thank You Chas, It is nice to know that it has been enjoyed.

Tony

I'd never heard of the "Blue Forest" before. Beautiful! I'll add my thanks to you to Auspex's. It's been nice getting to know you this way.

Thank You Roger. I appreciate all the feedback and identifications that You have given as well!

Tony

• 3 weeks later...

During the summer of My 13th year We went to Santa Cruz California to visit My other Grandparents. They had just graveled the driveway, where I found lots of bone fragments and a few shark teeth. With great excitement I showed My finds to everyone, and grandpa made the mistake of saying that he knew where they could be found. Two days later, when Grandma got tired of listening to Me, We went to Scotts Valley and I got to dig for shark teeth for the first time. At one time I had 600 good teeth from this location. (Thanks to the nice people here on TFF I now know that this is the late miocene age lower Santa Margarita sandstone.)

Scale is 1/8 inch ruler.

Fish tooth plates.

my father and i dug scotts valley for years! but everything became too hard to get to with out getting into trouble.... are there any spots still semi accessible? my fav spot on lockheart became a self storage place=( dug it for nearly 10 years... looks like those fish cruch plates might be i believe theyre called porcupine fish(left one) on the right, a sheepshead...even though the santa margarita formation produces heavily worn specimens.... still very cool.

Hey did you find the sand dollars on bean creek??? thank you for posting this!

my father and i dug scotts valley for years! but everything became too hard to get to with out getting into trouble.... are there any spots still semi accessible? my fav spot on lockheart became a self storage place=( dug it for nearly 10 years... looks like those fish cruch plates might be i believe theyre called porcupine fish(left one) on the right, a sheepshead...even though the santa margarita formation produces heavily worn specimens.... still very cool.

Hey did you find the sand dollars on bean creek??? thank you for posting this!

It has been 30 years since I dug down there. the last time was just before they built the self storage on the site where I was digging. I know no other areas open to dig.

I am unsure where I was when I found the sand dollar.

Tony

• 5 months later...

During the summer of My 13th year We went to Santa Cruz California to visit My other Grandparents. They had just graveled the driveway, where I found lots of bone fragments and a few shark teeth. With great excitement I showed My finds to everyone, and grandpa made the mistake of saying that he knew where they could be found. Two days later, when Grandma got tired of listening to Me, We went to Scotts Valley and I got to dig for shark teeth for the first time. At one time I had 600 good teeth from this location. (Thanks to the nice people here on TFF I now know that this is the late miocene age lower Santa Margarita sandstone.)

Scale is 1/8 inch ruler.

Fish tooth plates.

attachicon.gifDSCF3388.JPG

Sea Lion teeth.

attachicon.gifDSCF3393.JPG

attachicon.gifDSCF3394.JPGattachicon.gifDSCF3395.JPG

Shark teeth.

attachicon.gifDSCF3389.JPGattachicon.gifDSCF3390.JPG

attachicon.gifDSCF3391.JPGattachicon.gifDSCF3392.JPG

attachicon.gifDSCF3398.JPGattachicon.gifDSCF3399.JPG

more....

aren't the rounded ones ray teeth? like sting ray kinda ray fish. In my paleobiology class we saw lots of teeth like these and my Professor said round teeth like these are ray teeth. Now I don't know the area well they very well could be shark teeth that have weathered the tips off. I am new to this paliobilogy thing so It very well could be a rookie mistake. lol. It is a really good story and it is pretty cool to go collect them! were they just sitting in loose dirt? or did you have to chisel them out or anything like that?

Want to learn about fossil prep? Then check out my blog!

Not sure which teeth You are asking about.

The 2 teeth in the first picture were posted in the TFF ID section and identified as fish.

(I can not find the original posts)

I had always thought that they were ray or skate.

These are stingray teeth...

post-16416-0-94157400-1465534059_thumb.jpg post-16416-0-49963800-1465534070_thumb.jpg

The Lower Santa Margarita is a loosely conslidated sand stone that is easely reduced to sand. it is a beach deposite that is now 150 feet above sea level and the finds were made by screening.

Thank You,

Tony

Edited by ynot

• 1 month later...

Scale is 1/8 inch ruler.

Fish tooth plates.

attachicon.gifDSCF3388.JPG

Sea Lion teeth.

attachicon.gifDSCF3393.JPG

attachicon.gifDSCF3394.JPGattachicon.gifDSCF3395.JPG

Shark teeth.

attachicon.gifDSCF3389.JPGattachicon.gifDSCF3390.JPG

attachicon.gifDSCF3391.JPGattachicon.gifDSCF3392.JPG

attachicon.gifDSCF3398.JPGattachicon.gifDSCF3399.JPG

more....

Wow. I used to live in Scotts Valley, Santa Cruz, Capitola, Felton, CA.... The only fossils I ever found were of the shell variety, on the beaches, of course! Are there still sites to visit for fossils around those parts? I'll be visiting in October with my toddler, and would love to get her interested in fossils, too! She already loves the beach :-)

Your collections are very impressive!! Just beautiful!!

Wow. I used to live in Scotts Valley, Santa Cruz, Capitola, Felton, CA.... The only fossils I ever found were of the shell variety, on the beaches, of course! Are there still sites to visit for fossils around those parts? I'll be visiting in October with my toddler, and would love to get her interested in fossils, too! She already loves the beach :-)

Your collections are very impressive!! Just beautiful!!

All of the sites that I know of to collect the lower Santa Margarita have been closed. There are other sites open, but most are the shell sites You have already been to.

Sorry I can not be more helpful, it has been several decades since I collected in that area.

Thank You

Tony

• 11 months later...

Really nice collection. My daughter and I have been collecting for a while, we have mostly shark teeth, misc. bone pieces, some gator, and shells. Have to take some pictures and show you.

14 minutes ago, wt080262 said:

Really nice collection. My daughter and I have been collecting for a while, we have mostly shark teeth, misc. bone pieces, some gator, and shells. Have to take some pictures and show you.

Thank You.

Would love to see a thread that Highlights Your collection.

Regards,

Tony

• 2 weeks later...
On ‎9‎/‎20‎/‎2015 at 11:07 PM, ynot said:

I do not know if it is the memory of finding it or of being told of the event in later years, but I do remember carrying that brachiopod around with Me for many years. ( now it sits on a shelf).

Back to the story...

We went camping at Silver lake, in the Sierra Nevada mountains when I was 12. I made My brother take a hike to the pyroclastic formations east of the lake. At the base of the formation there are several places where trees had piled up during the event. These acted as a filter that allowed leaf impressions to be preserved. I collected several, none of which I could identify. My Dad worked for the Calif board of education, and set up a meeting with the head of the paleontology department at the university of california- Davis. This man Identified the leafs as willow, oak, birch and avocado. He was so excited about My discovery (no fossils had been previously reported from this volcanic formation!) that My dad had to take us up to the site the next weekend. When I next returned in My 20's there was a well defined path straight to the site. This was My first contribution to science, because the Paleontologist kept My leaf fossils. I also found My first petrified wood in this area.

post-16416-0-32812000-1442815435_thumb.jpgwillow leaf

post-16416-0-77191100-1442815461_thumb.jpgavocado leaf

If your paleobotanical finds came between 1967 and the first half of 1998, that "head of the paleontology department at the university of california- Davis" would have been none other than the famed paleobotanist Daniel I. Axelrod (born July 16, 1910; passed away June 2, 1998), a name one will surely encounter sooner or later if one investigates the Cenozoic fossil leaves of California and Nevada, in particular.

10 minutes ago, Virgilian said:

If your paleobotanical finds came after 1967, that "head of the paleontology department at the university of california- Davis" would have been none other than the famed paleobotanist Daniel I. Axelrod (born--July 16, 1910; passed away June 2, 1998), a name one will surely encounter sooner or later if one investigates the Cenozoic fossil leaves of California and Nevada, in particular.

That would fit well and explain why there was such a well defined path to the site when I went back 10 years later.

He was very excited about the find.

• 4 months later...

I LOVED reading your backstory!  I always enjoy reading your replies to fossil ID and other info in this forum.   I admit to having a strange curiosity surrounding the experts, as yourself, as to the wealth of knowledge you have and openly share with the "amateurs (as myself).  Truly a pleasure to read... I'ld love to know a bit more about your venture into paleontology... thanks again for this great journey!

3 hours ago, Roberta NJ CA said:

I LOVED reading your backstory!  I always enjoy reading your replies to fossil ID and other info in this forum.  Truly a pleasure to read..... thanks again for this great journey!

Thank You.

Good luck on the hunt!

Tony

• 1 year later...

WOW! 

What a great thread, Tony.:)

I love the opalized stuff and the Triassic pieces very much. 

But most of all the brachiopods ( some of which you sent me) and the trilobites (some of which you also kindly sent me!) :wub:

And the backstory is very interesting. 

Life's Good!

Tortoise Friend.

MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png.a47e14d65deb3f8b242019b3a81d8160-1.png.60b8b8c07f6fa194511f8b7cfb7cc190.png