Hypselosaurus Egg- Is It Real?

HamptonsDoc

What do you guys think about this Hypselosaurus egg from France? Good specimen? Authentic? Fair Price (1500 Euro = $1676)? This is only the second French Egg I've seen for sale since I started collecting a few months ago. Seems less crushed than other eggs of this type. This is an egg i do not know much about...

Here is the listing:

"Hypselosaurus priscus
Extreme rare Titanosaur egg, No restoration!!!!
OLD COLLECTION 1950
Maastrichtian, Cretaceous 70 million years old
Trouvaille, Bassin d'Aix de Provence, France
Size: 6.6 by 5.6 inch / 16.5 by 14 cm"
post-19603-0-50768000-1443058152_thumb.jpg

I've bought from him before. Good stuff each time, but my only complain is that his photos doesn't always reveal fully the quality of the specimen.

Ask for more high res photos from him, and from different angles.

Looking forward to meeting my fellow Singaporean collectors! Do PM me if you are a Singaporean, or an overseas fossil-collector coming here for a holiday!

I've bought from him before. Good stuff each time, but my only complain is that his photos doesn't always reveal fully the quality of the specimen.

Ask for more high res photos from him, and from different angles.

I emailed him yesterday actually before I made the post above to ask for more pictures and am still waiting for a response. I'll post more pictures when I get them.

Yes, "I think" that this is real and very rare so complete, congrats also if is not cheap but is hard to find another one with this quality, also that is better see more high resolution photos from different angles. Is from several years that I'm looking for one similar egg......

->>>>> :)<

Here are some more pictures the seller emailed me this morning. On the top view is there missing shell? Hard to tell given the color. And where is the matrix? What do you guys think? Is this truly an excellent quality, rare egg? If so I have to have it! :thumbsu:

post-19603-0-36475400-1443192932_thumb.jpg post-19603-0-98910000-1443192932_thumb.jpg post-19603-0-05882600-1443192934_thumb.jpg

These type of eggs are starting pop up in the open market but they are rarely offered to collectors. The fractured eggshell is very typical of what I've seen and the color is correct for this locality. The one in my collection and the few I've seen are in matrix with more shell texture but that should not be a concern. I'm not home so I do not have access to my files so I cannot comment on ascribing a species to this egg but will check when I get back.

These type of eggs are starting pop up in the open market but they are rarely offered to collectors. The fractured eggshell is very typical of what I've seen and the color is correct for this locality. The one in my collection and the few I've seen are in matrix with more shell texture but that should not be a concern. I'm not home so I do not have access to my files so I cannot comment on ascribing a species to this egg but will check when I get back.

Thank you Troodon, I really value your opinion and would like to know any thing more you could tell me about this egg. I just purchased it from a seller in The Netherlands for $1500 USD. He said it should ship on Monday. Please keep me posted on anything else you can tell me about it when you get back home. Thank you Redlichia and Andy too for your opinions.

What I can add from notes I have is that remains are difficult to determine clearly which dinosaur laid them. In particular are the large eggs belonging to a group of Megaloolithus type eggs are associated with Titanosaurids.

Thank you Troodon, I really value your opinion and would like to know any thing more you could tell me about this egg. I just purchased it from a seller in The Netherlands for $1500 USD. He said it should ship on Monday. Please keep me posted on anything else you can tell me about it when you get back home. Thank you Redlichia and Andy too for your opinions.

No prob man. I might've gotten it from Theo if I wasn't strapped tight on budget.

Gratz on a lovely buy.

Oviraptor next?

Looking forward to meeting my fellow Singaporean collectors! Do PM me if you are a Singaporean, or an overseas fossil-collector coming here for a holiday!

I actually got a beautiful Oviraptor egg from Denver two weeks ago. Very pricy ($2250) but I love it, only one of two Oviraptor eggs at the entire show I've been told! Now I'm on the hunt for Segnosaurus and Saltasaurus!

attachicon.gifimage.jpg attachicon.gifimage.jpg attachicon.gifimage.jpg

Wonderful prep work!

Ah neither of those will be easy to find, but they are well worth it!

Archived