First Part Of The Weekend- The Presentation

Guest bmorefossil

Guest bmorefossil

met fatboy and his daughter tonight after fatboy gave a wonderful and funny presentation on fossils and fossiling in general. I had a blast, the meeting was long but who cares i was there to do a little meet and greet and to see that presentation that he put so much hard work into.

post-17-1238819123_thumb.jpg

post-17-1238819130_thumb.jpg

post-17-1238819137_thumb.jpg

post-17-1238819143_thumb.jpg

Guest bmorefossil
Looks like he put on a good show. I hope that it stimulates someone to take up the hobby.

He got alot of laughes and i thought it was great, but no one really stayed around after to look at what we had to show haha, i think i saw a tear running from one of steve's eyes

...i think i saw a tear running from one of steve's eyes

Crocodile tears?

"There has been an alarming increase in the number of things I know nothing about." - Ashleigh Ellwood Brilliant

“Try to learn something about everything and everything about something.” - Thomas Henry Huxley

>Paleontology is an evolving science.

>May your wonders never cease!

Sorry for the delay in responding here, but I've been so swamped at work that I haven't had time to post much!

First of all, let me say that it was a real pleasure meeting bmore and his Dad. They drove a long way to come out and support me and help with the presentation, and I very much appreciate that. They are class guys and I hope that some day we can meet up again somewhere. Too bad we'll be going a week apart to PCS <_< .

There were several factors that caused the rapid departure of many of the crowd:

1) Traffic prevented Steve from entering the building until after the meeting conclusion.

2) The meeting was very boring after the presentation (I was told that I was going last)

3) My slide show had several slides showing Steve, but technical IT difficulties caused me to start my presentation without the slide show, so I had to wing it. But, when they got it started (without my guidance because I was trying to entertain everyone until the slides were ready), they loaded the wrong Powerpoint presentation (the version without Steve), so I couldn't build Steve up much at all.

4) Most of the kids there were so tired and bored that they left early

5) And they served beer and hot dogs downstairs, stealing what may have been interested folks to satisfy that primeval desire for alcohol. I was tempted, LOL.

Despite that, several people that stuck around were very impressed with Steve and bmore's (and his Dad's) sample of their collection, including me. In fact, I was hoping people would stop coming up to me so I could check out their stuff and socialize with them (I'm selfish, LOL). Let me tell you that I was impressed seeing Steve the Croc in pics, but you should see them in person! OMG!!!!!!! Awesome! Not only that, the croc teeth collection, that massive Hexanchus tooth, the megs... I needed a whole roll of paper towels to clean up the drool I left on the floor.

Let me tell you though, the best part was that I met the folks behind the pics/fossils. I had a blast too.

One thing that came out of this is that, and it will take some time on my part, is that the IWL Chapter suggested that I start a fossil club, perhaps a junior club too (which interests me the most). The thought would be periodic meetings at the Chapter house, fossil trips, etc. I get a kick out of seeing how kids are so interested in this stuff, like I was as a youngster, and it would be an honor to pass this hobby on to them along with the good ethics that our forum promotes here.

Bmore, thanks for the nice post and promoting my efforts, your contribution last Friday, and for taking and sharing your pics of our experience last week. I really appreciate that. I had a great time.

Oh, by the way, before anyone asks on here, the giant meg in my box is a replica for demonstration purposes in my presentations, as are the ray jaw and the "white" great white tooth. I'll be using them until I find a real similar replacement. I may continue to do so after that because if I'm speaking and holding it and drop it, then it's pretty durable and won't break easily like a tooth...and cheaper to replace too. I purchased the ray jaw from Skull's Unlimited and I'm really pleased with it (all of the replicas came from there).

Kevin Wilson

Oh yeah, and let me tell you, when bmore helps you ID your stuff, listen to him. He really knows his (sic) "coprolites"!!!!! ;)

I now have a seal tooth and some more coprolites (for real) that I didn't realize that I had!!!!!!! Thanks again bmore!

Kevin Wilson

Guest bmorefossil
Oh yeah, and let me tell you, when bmore helps you ID your stuff, listen to him. He really knows his (sic) "coprolites"!!!!! ;)

I now have a seal tooth and some more coprolites (for real) that I didn't realize that I had!!!!!!! Thanks again bmore!

haha yea i forgot all about that, no problem kevin

Archived