Huge Plant Fossil Paleo

Guest GemstoneAndFossil

Guest GemstoneAndFossil

All the fossils around this in other rocks are stuffed with trilobites , large curved shells a few large bodied unidentifiable creatures , probably trilobites uncalcified , but for the most part all of the fossils are calcified from this deposit , very lucky!

Guest GemstoneAndFossil

Neither of those things , There is fossilised coral there , trilobites , spirifers , bivalves , brachiopods , Nautiloids , but the thing is I don't see any actual spirals its mostly curved stuff , I would have to do a small thread on it maybe another day . The things im talking about I have a picture of so youre lucky . ill post some pics here to give an example.

This is Ordovician, presumably? That pretty much rules out plant, if so.

Maybe something like a really big encrusting colony???

"There has been an alarming increase in the number of things I know nothing about." - Ashleigh Ellwood Brilliant

“Try to learn something about everything and everything about something.” - Thomas Henry Huxley

>Paleontology is an evolving science.

>May your wonders never cease!

Looks like Tetradium sp.

"Absence of evidence is not evidence of absence"_ Carl Sagen

No trees were killed in this posting......however, many innocent electrons were diverted from where they originally intended to go.

" I think, therefore I collect fossils." _ Me

"When you have eliminated the impossible, whatever remains, however improbable, must be the truth."__S. Holmes

"can't we all just get along?" Jack Nicholson from Mars Attacks

Guest GemstoneAndFossil

Well wasn't a crinoid a plant ? I thought this could be a water plant at first glance , but after thinking about my fossils and the sizes these ones here are compared to my little ones , these are the full grown versions , so whatever this is it's probably max size. I don't know if anyone see's it but I put a Canadian dollar for size.

Crinoids are animals, related to starfish and urchins. They are still living today.

"There has been an alarming increase in the number of things I know nothing about." - Ashleigh Ellwood Brilliant

“Try to learn something about everything and everything about something.” - Thomas Henry Huxley

Looks like Tetradium sp.

A tree?!?

Guest GemstoneAndFossil

It has a strange couple features above the dollar and at the bottom of the lateral lines .I can just say that this probably isn't coral unless you could show me a picture of some fauna that would resemble this and the size ... It truly reminds me of a shell after second looks. however its isn't very uniform... its time for some new pictures for you all to enjoy

Guest GemstoneAndFossil

herb thank you for that ! it isn't but I did look at those formations and I have a picture you will enjoy! its close by but not too close enough sorry ...

Wow really! what the I never knew , so basically what were the first plants then ?

Algae. Vascular plants came much later.