Huge Plant Fossil Paleo

Guest GemstoneAndFossil

Guest GemstoneAndFossil

I have done it masters of the forces of nature! Thank you and I apologize it took so long , but it wouldn't have been the same , now that ive discovered the mystery behind my town I can now share along with you what I couldn't possibly of understood in a week but somehow have!

Prepare yourselves for my next post here it will go into detail my geographic location and time period , until I can post it too my profile.

Edited by GemstoneAndFossil

Guest GemstoneAndFossil

Perth County is underlain by limestones of the deleware , onondagn , Detroit river and bertie-akron formations in the western part. and by salina shale in the eastern part,. the lines dividing them north and south. The depth of soil is great , however the only known rock exposure is in the southerwestern part . I am from the south western part , Limestone of the Delaware onondagn and Detroit river are visible in formations and in quarries. the limestone in the western part of town is Devonian , the stone in the eastern part Silurian . The Rocks and fossils found in this thread are actually not from town they are from a very close quarry so the time is unknown . I hope that this helps everyone a bit more , all of my fossils apart from Vancouver island ones are from the Devonian age.

Edited by GemstoneAndFossil

Well done; The Force is awakening! :)

"There has been an alarming increase in the number of things I know nothing about." - Ashleigh Ellwood Brilliant

“Try to learn something about everything and everything about something.” - Thomas Henry Huxley

>Paleontology is an evolving science.

>May your wonders never cease!

Guest GemstoneAndFossil

Thanks Aus , I was surprised my museum has zero mineral or fossil examples of anything , I might have to give them a hand. I went through some older books than I , But ultimately we were right , the surveys are somewhat old and depict the surface rocks , to get other samples you need to go through mineral and mining books etc and be lucky from core samples from companys who usually do it for their own benefits. There is a spillway to the east of town and a till moraine I think its called to the west , our town has very strange structed , its like a huge rolling hill where water mustve flown ages ago . I have a small list of species that were in a small section of a book I found , I think they are from this town or at least area is anyone is interested I can post such a list here. And maybe you can help me go find them .

G A F, a tip. On a long post like this where you show many fossils and rocks, put a number with each different one. If you are showing opposit sides of the same stone use the same number, (example; this is the back side of #5) this way when some one gives you a name, or ID, it goes to the right rock/fossil.This way things are less confusing.

Ziggie

Guest GemstoneAndFossil

Thanks ziggie , ill try to do that from now on . I see so much unorganization in my last posts : P I was also wondering auspex , if once a fossil is identified for the most part agreeably , could we get its name put in the title so people know and don't have too look through each post , they can read the title and see the first pictures and so on . Also , could the shell or coral or plant thing be this ? panenka grandis

Guest GemstoneAndFossil

haha you got that right! I think the horn corals are these , zaphrentis prolifica . I don't know about the ribbed ones though

We can put the name in as a 'tag', which will come up in searches and accumulate links to other topics with the same tag.

We generally prefer to maintain the original thinking, as the process of resolving an identity is highly informative, and confusion can result from discontinuity. Your learning curve will continue help others in their own journeys. :)

"There has been an alarming increase in the number of things I know nothing about." - Ashleigh Ellwood Brilliant

“Try to learn something about everything and everything about something.” - Thomas Henry Huxley

Guest GemstoneAndFossil

I was actually thinking about that earlier from something else you said , it doesn't matter how long it may take me to get to the bottom of it , because some day somebody will find something and come here and its all solved for them , or vice versa , they come (the site) then my location to get their goodies! , The only thing im confused about is this , ordivician actually sounded correct because everything im finding is really old , its part of the river rock , and its around the lowest part of town , so perhaps there is a small layer of ordivician in this place as well ? I have yet to find any kind of fish or real plant etc ...

...so much unorganization in my last posts...

Most of us here are 'handicapped' by highly organized thought processes (which probably accounts for us being here in the first place, whether by nature or nurture). Intuition and inspiration still play their roles, but all things scientific are brought to the test of logic. ;)

Guest GemstoneAndFossil

Wise beyond this planet , perhaps as old as venus , haha I don't know the age of planets , maybe one day when I get too the bottom of earth :P

FYI,in generalized geologic maps like some shown earlier, the boundries are not " carved in stone."

"Absence of evidence is not evidence of absence"_ Carl Sagen

No trees were killed in this posting......however, many innocent electrons were diverted from where they originally intended to go.

" I think, therefore I collect fossils." _ Me

"When you have eliminated the impossible, whatever remains, however improbable, must be the truth."__S. Holmes

"can't we all just get along?" Jack Nicholson from Mars Attacks