sTamprockcoin

Pennsylvania Localities

sTamprockcoin

I just recently was given a complete set of the Old Pennsylvania Geology magazines. I've read thorugh them and marked all the articles that contain specific locality information. I already know that some are devloped over and others may be inaccessible. But in PA there's almost always something else nearby if you can find it.

This winter when my empty corner of PA [northeastern Susquehanna County] is buried under crystaline H2O I'm going to organize them into a "database" so that I can strategically explore them later in the season. I'll share the compiliation and my other PA locality (GPS Coordinate) list with others who are willing to do field work with me. I'm a fairly picky collector who has no problem picking something up looking at it and putting it back down!

PM if interested or if you have a fossil/mineral locality on your property that I might be interested in.

Auspex

These old magazines sound real interesting! How old are they?

ZiggieCie

That's a nice winter project, good luck on it. :thumbsu:

sTamprockcoin

As I recall they're from the late 60's through the last published in '06(?). I also got many of the OLD (1880's) PA geologic survey books with the lithographed maps. Such a treasure trove. I'll be listing the other locality books (75+ volumes of various pubs & dates) by state & title in the trading section sometime soon.

PAJim

Im in Northampton county if you get in this direction. Wouldnt mind doing some field research with you, would love to find some local spots and fossils.

sTamprockcoin

The first (and probably only - since we haven't been snowed in!) step of this project is done. I've scanned the articles (18 total), saved each as a PDF, labeled them by county, and created a zip file. This way any written info & maps are included. I did cross index this to the PA G40 Fossils in PA but there still may be a few duplications.

Warning- this was a quickie job so if an ocassional crooked scan will bother you don't look. Send me a PM requesting the PA FOSSIL file and including your e-mail address in the body of the text. I attached a sample for my home county.

I'd also appreciate invitations to explore or any updates on the localities (existence, accessibility, permissions, restrictions, photos of finds, etc.) .

Plax

interesting research! Did you come across the write up about a cretaceous roadside exposure in Montgomery? County? Looked through my old copies but can't find it.

sTamprockcoin

Plax,

I did not - though my criteria for scanning an article were pretty tight. I needed enough info to be able to drive there w/o further research so I probably skipped some articles. I'll flip through and see if I can find it. That one would have caught my attention since I grew up in Northwestern Montgomery county (Pennsburg). Have you ever been to the Limerick Nuclear Generating Station to see the huge plate of Dino tracks they found when building it? I never found much of anything as a kid living in the area and when I moved back as an adult I was more interested in the mineral side of things.

Plax

found some interesting triassic material near Oaks PA when I lived up north but never went to Limerick.

saysac

Do you still have the information for the sites, and have you checked any out that allow collecting?

exasperatus2002

Locally I have found small burrows in sediment and bivalve impressions while flipping rocks in farm fields. Would love to connect with anyone to go out hunting sometime.

Edited by exasperatus2002