Huge Trilo?

Guest GemstoneAndFossil

Guest GemstoneAndFossil

When fist stumbling upon these fossils I literally had zero time frame in life for anything , I thought everything probably all lived together and I could find dinosaur bones next to the sea shells , the fist thought here was mammoth , this must be it's huge head and the tusks petruding from the limestone , until today it never came too me this could be a giant trilobite , it would make sense , sorry it's very hard to take picture of you need a good imagination ! I only think this might be the case because I finally found a few squise an mangled trills today that are barely distinguishable except for their tiny entennae like body extensions showing in the rock and their somewhat uniform body , those are for my other pictures , for now please try to tell me what this could be!

post-17721-0-06119500-1443492963_thumb.jpg

Guest GemstoneAndFossil

Turn the picture clockwise , the trilo is possibly the huge thing in fragmented pieces of calcite , the other things are horns of calcite I forget their names , so you must see at least one fossil theres like 3 here.

Well first of all, if by finding trills you mean trilobites, then I don't understand why you're saying they have antenna like extensions. Trilobites do have antenna, and legs and gills etc, but these are rarely preserved for they are soft body parts. (I'll edit in a whole bunch of pics in a sec)

Also, I would never even guess trilobite on this one, they tend to be rather distinct. Let's start with the name, and a very prominent feature on all trilobites. Tri (three) lob (lobe) ite (simplified explanation)

Trilobites have a left pleural lobe, an axial lobe, and a right pleural lobe. This 'fossil' (maybe fossil) has no lobes

Not my photos, but they are useful. post-19394-0-99742500-1443495093_thumb.jpeg

Soft body preservation in a trilobite post-19394-0-68239200-1443495127_thumb.jpeg

Very detailed diagram of trilobites post-19394-0-05361300-1443495264_thumb.jpeg

Also realized an important detail, trilobite eyes are often persevered because unlike our eyes they had many separate solid lenses.

Edited by IonRocks
  • I found this Informative 1

I know see the antenna thing, I am sorry to say, it is only a crack in the rock

3rd thing I forgot, trilobites this large are almost non-existent and if any are found, they often belong in museums.

Edited by IonRocks

Guest GemstoneAndFossil

I see what seems like a biramous leg , three chambers , a right eye , the shape of a trilobite , and perhaps a bottom right leg thing lol

Guest GemstoneAndFossil

Thanks ion , I noticed that too after a second look , unfortunately , but it still is interesting how it cracks like something a trilo would have :P I have some really mangled trilo pictures with those weird things that somehow lasted yet the body looks terrible , I could be completely wrong , im going to post them here for reference.

Guest GemstoneAndFossil

heres a few things to look at , I am not saying this is a trilo otherwise I wouldn't be asking for an I'd , Its one of the biggest things here and it must be a fossil ... I don't see things randomly forming like this , although possible ,very unlikely .Especially in this situation , There is another trilo head near this and its just the head , but it makes no sense because its a little different from the regular trilo head ... In my explanation , multiple forms of evolution and subspecies , you can never be fully sure what anything is but you can get close as possible from the hints.

When I look at clouds I can see all kinds of "fossil" shapes --that does not make them fossils. This can be true of rocks also.

Keep looking!!!

Tony

Darwin said: " Man sprang from monkeys."

Will Rogers said: " Some of them didn't spring far enough."

My Fossil collection - My Mineral collection

My favorite thread on TFF.

I get all that, I just don't know about many other creatures so I am using my knowledge on the trilobite part, my specialty. Proving one theory wrong is one step to finding one right

Yeah I'm afraid ynot (Tony) is correct here. It is just a mineral formation

And there are a many good reasons on why this is not a fossil but let's wait in that and see the other pictures

Edited by IonRocks

Guest GemstoneAndFossil

Here's a view of what I found today , call me crazy but these little legs are what I'm talking about , long arm and a little u at the end like a early crab arm lol anyways I'm a amateur so don't take anything I say too serious , these new pictures are from a different time period too I believe .

post-17721-0-26936000-1443496719_thumb.jpg

post-17721-0-39441300-1443496793_thumb.jpg

The new picture looks like some brachiopods in a "hash" plate-- but no trilobites.

Tony

Edited by ynot

Darwin said: " Man sprang from monkeys."

Will Rogers said: " Some of them didn't spring far enough."

My Fossil collection - My Mineral collection

My favorite thread on TFF.

Well a lot fo us are amateurs too (I just started collecting a few months ago)

Also to note, in further topics using somewhat more specific terms may be useful to your explanations, I do have soft body diagrams too if you want them,

Nope no trilobites. Do an Internet search for trilobites in your county/whatever they call it.. Any somewhat narrow area of land. See what comes up and report back. This will give something to compare to (hopefully)