ID requested on Devonian problematica

PaleoTony

Hi all,

As a new member, I would like to share with you all a few pictures I took from an Eifelian limestone I found last sunday near the Couvin area In Belgium. This area is well-know for the abundance of Devonian coral reefs, and it has been studied for many decades.

Although I'm quite familiar with the fossils from this area, I found this odd looking specimen in situ. And I have no clue what it could be.

Could somebody help me with the Identification?

So, long story short:

Stage: Eifelian

Lithology: Limestone

Facies: Marine coral reef

ID: ?

I hope some of you might help me with the Identification of this organism (Coral? Graptolith?, Algae? Bryozoan?)

Greetings From Belgium

Tony

post-19786-0-37348100-1443602173_thumb.jpgpost-19786-0-07892600-1443602175_thumb.jpgpost-19786-0-83390900-1443602175_thumb.jpgpost-19786-0-33348900-1443602177_thumb.jpgpost-19786-0-59275500-1443602178_thumb.jpg

I think it may be important to have a scale on this.

It's not much more than a guess, but I'm thinking perhaps a dendroid form of graptolite.

Edited by Rockwood

The branching pattern reminds me of certain types of crinoid arms. Is there any way of getting a close up picture showing detail of one of these arms?

Welcome to the forum! - looks like a double row of zooecia along the branches so I'm going with bryozoan first - but yes, needs a scale.

Edited by TqB
  • I found this Informative 1

Tarquin

I agree. Branched biserial crinoid arms could be a good possibility but the pictures not reveals the necessary details.

" We are not separate and independent entities, but like links in a chain, and we could not by any means be what we are without those who went before us and showed us the way. "

Thomas Mann

My Library

looks like crinoid arms to me also

"Absence of evidence is not evidence of absence"_ Carl Sagen

No trees were killed in this posting......however, many innocent electrons were diverted from where they originally intended to go.

" I think, therefore I collect fossils." _ Me

"When you have eliminated the impossible, whatever remains, however improbable, must be the truth."__S. Holmes

"can't we all just get along?" Jack Nicholson from Mars Attacks