Collecting Spots For Kids

FossilForKids

Hi Everybody!

I need your help. I have a website, www.fossilsforkids.com, which focuses on kids and the beginner collector. I have a section called X marks the spot that shows some links to some collecting spot. What i would like to do is get some locations from you guys of places from all over the country. I would make a page on each location to include location, direction, and a description of what's found there. Of course I am not talking about your super secret primo spots. I'm talking about easy collecting known spots that would be great for a kid or a beginner. Examples are:

Westmoreland, Va,

Capitola, Ca

Aurora, NC (museum tailings) etc.

If you could include a photo or two that would be great as well. I will also recognize you as the person that provided the information. You can either post it here or send me a PM.

I really appreciate all the help any of you could provide.

Thanks,

John

If only my teeth are so prized a million years from now!

Guest solius symbiosus

On your "Places I Dig" page, you reference the "Bardtown Reef Fm" in Kentucky. The Bardstown Reef is an archaic reference referring to the base of the Liberty Fm. As it is not a true reef(and never was a formation), I am not aware of any modern writers that refer to the base of the Liberty as such.

The Falls of the Ohio State Park in Jeffersonville In. usually has a spoils pile that kids can pick through. The few times that I have seen the pile, it was Waldron Sh... from which I once pulled a nice crinoid.

On your "Places I Dig" page, you reference the "Bardtown Reef Fm" in Kentucky. The Bardstown Reef is an archaic reference referring to the base of the Liberty Fm. As it is not a true reef(and never was a formation), I am not aware of any modern writers that refer to the base of the Liberty as such.

The Falls of the Ohio State Park in Jeffersonville In. usually has a spoils pile that kids can pick through. The few times that I have seen the pile, it was Waldron Sh... from which I once pulled a nice crinoid.

Thanks! So should I refer it to as the liberty formation?

I think I have to dispute the fact it was never a reef by the very large coral fossils I have found there (1 mile down the road from the site I describe. Additionally UCSB references it as the Bardstown reef.

Bardstown Reef USCB

Guest solius symbiosus
Thanks! So should I refer it to as the liberty formation?

I have never been to the outcrop, but I am somewhat familiar with it. The nomenclature has been reworked several times, so I would call it Upper Ordovician limestones and shales. It is now part of the Drakes Fm(Bardstown mb???).

The attachments below are from a 7.5min GQ of the area, and its legend. The highway now continues on to the SE; the outcrop is within the oval.

post-179-1238959265_thumb.jpg

post-179-1238959280_thumb.jpg

Here is a link to the Aurora Fossil Museum. It has spoil piles just outside that are great for kids and adults.

www.idigaurora.org

Here is a link to the Aurora Fossil Museum. It has spoil piles just outside that are great for kids and adults.

www.idigaurora.org

Thanks Obsessed! I will post than on my site.

John

Here's a link for a fantastic free spot in Iowa where you are guaranteed to find Devonian fossils by the bucket full. I've taken my kids and my friends' kids and they all had a blast!

Fossil and Prairie Center

If you believe everything you read, perhaps it's time for you to stop reading...

Go to www.hgms.org , click on the "Field Trips" button, scroll to the bottom of the page and check out the Whiskey Bridge section. It has locality info, a collecting guide, etc.

Go to www.hgms.org , click on the "Field Trips" button, scroll to the bottom of the page and check out the Whiskey Bridge section. It has locality info, a collecting guide, etc.

Thanks Mike!

Hey John,

the sand dollar and shark teeth localities in Scotts Valley are probably useful for ya - let me know if you can't remember the directions off the top of your head, and i can message them to you.

Bobby

"Collecting Spots For Kids, Locations for Kids all over USA"

Some people will collect just about anything! :P

"There has been an alarming increase in the number of things I know nothing about." - Ashleigh Ellwood Brilliant

“Try to learn something about everything and everything about something.” - Thomas Henry Huxley

>Paleontology is an evolving science.

>May your wonders never cease!

Haha. I Think Angelina Jolie started that trend, Auspex. ;)

:rofl:

You are a SICK Man!! :durr:

Hey John,

the sand dollar and shark teeth localities in Scotts Valley are probably useful for ya - let me know if you can't remember the directions off the top of your head, and i can message them to you.

Bobby

Thanks Bobby! I have Scotts Valley Sand Dollar and Capitola listed on my sites under "Places I like to dig.

John

Too bad we haven't been feeding our Locations Map so you could have just gone there to pick up a bunch of sites. Might still be worth checking it out, if you haven't already (in the list of links under the Fossil Forum title at the top of the page).

Besides fossils,

I collect roadcuts,

Stream beds,

Winter beaches:

Places of pilgrimage.

Jasper Burns, Fossil Dreams