sieves

Nathan1981

I've been looking for wire mesh small enough for micro fossils. While looking on amazon I came across gold mining sieves that have different mesh sizes and can fit over a 5 gallon bucket. Has anyone ever used these and do they work ok?

I use them all the time. Not only do they fit a bucket, but can fit in a backpack easily and be used in the water quite well. They usually run 1/2" all the way down to 400 mesh (like trying to classify something through a silk scarf). I use 1/4" mostly but other sizes come in handy from time to time. Scout out for deals online. I have found the shallow ones are made very cheaply as the bottoms tend to fall out of them. Sieves made by Keene Engineering are quality and will last you a while.

Caldigger

Dorensigbadges.JPG       

While I'm not a micro hunter myself I have collected a bit of it for others. I normally use a window screen but have also used a fine flour colander for some special requests. I suppose it depends on the size of material you hope to find. The smaller the screen the more matrix to hunt :) I can process it much quicker thru the window screen

Every once in a great while it's not just a big rock down there!

I've been doing window screen but I've noticed that some micros are going through. So was gonna try something just a little bit smaller.