50% Carcharodontosaurus Tooth?

LordTrilobite

I came across this Carch tooth. I have a feeling the lower half is mostly reconstructed. It's absolutely huge though. The top and posterior edge seem to be authentic though.

So what's your take on it?

7dbe9b8e-20ec-11e5-8223-368e7f7c2e0f.jpg

7dbfc1c6-20ec-11e5-8784-11df3910cd57.jpg

Olof Moleman AKA Lord Trilobite

I'm seeing a definite difference between the top half and the bottom (like you described), there appears to be a crack separating the two. I'm going back and forth between it being a real lower quality bottom portion that was attached to the top in order to appear as a large complete real tooth, or it being a reconstructed bottom like you suggested.

I too am looking forward to the other opinions

Yeah the root end of the tooth looks strange

"Or speak to the earth, and let it teach you" Job 12:8

Hard to tell without holding it. I'm more inclined to say a bad repair with some resto than all fake. One possibility is that the root was poorly reattached and needed lots of repair. Another possibility is that the root is from another tooth. The root bumps out below the crown but it's a color you don't see often. Could have been dyed.

My opinion is that the bottom half or more of this tooth is completely fabricated. It looks like some shards of broken teeth have been added to make it look more real. There is a seller on ebay that buys bits and pieces of T rex teeth and puts them together to make a whole tooth. This is what the tooth reminds me of.

• 5 months later...

Archived