Trilobite expert !

i bought a large trilobite from a store in austria ..... the problem is the owner wasnt there so i couldn't ask much about the fossil .

i found few things i was conserned about, first.... the eyes wasn't symetrical .. second there is a small crack on the side, thired there is some sort of cement around the trilobite.

it was my last day in austria so i bought it about 150 EUR

i have no idea about the origin nor if its real or fake.

pelase help.

New Collector

post-19812-0-28645200-1443995781_thumb.jpg

Edited by poloq8i

Sad to break it too you, but real or not I dknt think it's worth 150

I'm not totally sure about real or fake, it could be an awful prep job.. But I wouldn't bet on it.

So I'd say not real. The cement would be what binds the fake trilobite to the matrix. :(

I'm sorry, but I think thats a fake.

The trilobite seems to lack detail. It's common to see fakes with a lack of details and that kind of 'cement' to glue a fake trilobite to a real rock.

Olof Moleman AKA Lord Trilobite

Mmm, it could be real but it does have a pretty sad prep job. It could be that the prepper thought the radiating lines would make it look better.

Each dot is 50,000,000 years:

Hadean............Archean..............................Proterozoic.......................................Phanerozoic...........

Paleo......Meso....Ceno..

Ꞓ.OSD.C.P.Tr.J.K..Pg.NgQ< You are here

Doesn't time just fly by?

But I agree with IonRocks. It might not be worth 150. Sorry. :/

Edited by Utahfossilhunter

Hadean............Archean..............................Proterozoic.......................................Phanerozoic...........

Thank you guys for your comment.....

.... should i break it to see the inner section ?

Edited by poloq8i

No, it's still a decent display piece. I doubt there would be anything to see inside.

If you can take it to a CT scanner in a hospital, the trilobite should show up differently than the matrix. It would be fun to try it. They usually will be happy to do this sort of thing for free.

• I found this Informative 1

Despite the lack of detail in the pictures, I can -unfortunately- assure you this is a resin cast. The most obvious tell-tales are the lack of correct anatomical details, the subtle color and texture differences and air pockets at the transition between the trilobite and the matrix, and the nonsensical positioning of the 'prep marks' on the matrix.

And yes, 150 euros is a very steep price to pay for a cast.

Breaking or cutting it will reveal the internal structure and show you how the trilobite cast is mounted on a real piece of rock, with plenty of air pockets in between. It will be very educational, but if you enjoy this piece you could leave it as it is.

• I found this Informative 1

Paleo database, information and community

LogoS.png

"Experience is simply the name we give our mistakes".

-Oscar Wilde

Well iam a new collector so its good to know.

Out of curiosity, why would anyone make a fake resin cast of such a poorly prepped specimen? I agree the specimen is almost certainly a resin cast, but then why not make a cast of a decent specimen?

Don

Out of curiosity, why would anyone make a fake resin cast of such a poorly prepped specimen? I agree the specimen is almost certainly a resin cast, but then why not make a cast of a decent specimen?

Don

Probably mass-produced from an old mold. These poor fabricators don't make U.S. minimum wage, you know. Quantity, not quality,

"There has been an alarming increase in the number of things I know nothing about." - Ashleigh Ellwood Brilliant

“Try to learn something about everything and everything about something.” - Thomas Henry Huxley

>Paleontology is an evolving science.

>May your wonders never cease!

Yes, it's likely the mold was of an almos perfect specimens, but after the molds are used so much detail is quickly lost.

i Found a similar fossil on ebay ...... with more detail and without prep marks.....

i guess this would be great display for both of my fake and real trilobite :) .

eBay item number:
any opinions ?
Edited by poloq8i

that one seems real. But I think it's been tampered with. There are some spots that look off. I think it might have been cobbled together from different pieces.

I wouldn't bother with that one.

Olof Moleman AKA Lord Trilobite