Kem Kem Theropod Teeth: what you need to know

Troodon

John here is my sugar coated answer NO. :D not that I'm aware of and partly because so little has been described from the Kem Kem. The paper below covers a few broad items but it's not that useful. This is why I put this topic together on Dino teeth. There is a comprehensive listing on Wikipedia not sure the accuracy. My suggestion is to put like specimens together and if you don't know try posting and see what you get. I'll try to help has much as possible especially with Dino teeth.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kem_Kem_Beds

https://www.researchgate.net/publication/223833925_Vertebrate_assemblages_from_the_early_Late_Cretaceous_of_southeastern_Morocco_An_overview

Edit Forgot: if there is matrix on an item please clean it before posting

Edited by Troodon

New research also points to Deltadromeus being a Neovenator/Megaraptor dinosaur not a Ceratosaur.

Edited by zekky

New research also points to Deltadromeuis being a Neovenator/Megaraptor dinosaur not a Ceratosaur.

Correct and here is the post with paper that describes that association with the newly described Neovenator Gualicho shinyae from Argentina

http://www.thefossilforum.com/index.php?/topic/66733-an-unusual-new-theropod-from-argentina/

I guess the answer is obvious but serrated teeth only belong to flesh eaters yes? And dinosaur rather than reptile? Found a few dinky serrated in my box of stuff.

Correct, a blade-like serrated tooth means that it comes from a theropod. Crocodile and pterosaur teeth are not serrated.

However, some basal hadrosaurs have their teeth serrated for chewing up rough vegetation.

post-17312-0-48849000-1470424251_thumb.jpegpost-17312-0-76875700-1470424268_thumb.jpeg

The first is an Iguanodon and the second is a Batyrosaurus. Notice those dentations/serrations I'm talking about?

I guess the answer is obvious but serrated teeth only belong to flesh eaters yes? And dinosaur rather than reptile? Found a few dinky serrated in my box of stuff.

There are serrated Reptiles and some Avian. Some Mosasaurs teeth have serrations and Ive seen some croc teeth with them. Also there are some theropods teeth without serrations or no teeth at all.

Edited by Troodon

Ah. That throws a spanner in the works then. Are you taking generally Troodon or Morocco? These are Kem Kem. I guess avian is out then from there? I know they're not iggy, none found there as far as I know. The other tooth looks like one or two I have. Mine are much better condition tho. :D

Was talking general. In the Kem Kem all of the theropod teeth are serrated and a few Mosasaurs. Have not see any Avian teeth. Let me add that there may be a few croc teeth with serrations like Elosuchus sp. but they would be very coarse not fine like theropods.

Edited by Troodon

Let me alter my comment from above I forgot all about Spinosaurids they are not serrated. Their teeth have ridges on one or both sides or the may be missing completely and are smooth.

Deltadromeus tooth identification:

We still do not have a skull to definitively identify a tooth however we can start to draw comparisons to get us part of the way there. By describing the Deltadromeus association with the newly described Neovenator, Gualicho shinyae we can look at other Neovenatorids to compare against. An early cretaceous candidate that we have known teeth from is the UK's, Neovenator selerri. However I cannot find a document that describes the morphology these teeth.

post-10935-0-59556700-1470485348_thumb.jpg

Armed with nothing but a visual, at the moment, the morphology of tooth from the Kem Kem best fits the mold is shown below. These teeth can easily be confused with Carcharodontosaurid teeth so one needs to look at the serrations they are small and rounded while Carch are rectangular in shape.

post-10935-0-71308400-1470485818_thumb.jpgpost-10935-0-21911900-1470485835_thumb.jpg

• I found this Informative 6

Troodon. You state in your amended entry above that currently no theropod teeth from the Kem Kem Beds can be assigned to genus level. I respectfully disagree. 

Carcharodontosaurus saharicus can.

Though the type skull material found by Stromer in the Barariya Formation of Egypt was destroyed during WWII in 1944, the partial skull found by Sereno's crew in 1995 in the Kem Kem Beds of Morocco has been made the Neotype. The second species C. iguidensis is from the Echkar Formation in Niger. So therefore Carcharodontosaurid teeth from the Kem Kem Beds in Morocco, can, in fact, be assigned to the genus and species, Carcharodontosaurus saharicus. Sereno told me this years ago. 

Reference is:

Brusatte, S.L., and Sereno, P.C. (2007) “A New Species of Carcharodontosaurus (Dinosauria: Theropoda) From the Cenomanian of Niger and a Revision of the Genus.” Journal of Vertebrate Paleontology 27(4)

• I found this Informative 1

Just basing it on the fact that 

Sauroniops pachytholus   was described in 2012 

Paper: A thick skull theropod from the upper cretaceous of Morocco with implications for a carcharodontosaurid cranial evolution by Cau, Vecchia and Fabbri

and was cited in a 2013 paper that displayed in the following table which points to two Carcharodontosaurids in the Kem Kem.  

Screenshot_20170325-124003.thumb.jpg.b3198aa699608abd2d9488c395a66698.jpg

• I found this Informative 4

34 minutes ago, Troodon said:

Just basing it on the fact that 

Sauroniops pachytholus   was described in 2012 

Paper: A thick skull theropod from the upper cretaceous of Morocco with implications for a carcharodontosaurid cranial evolution by Cau, Vecchia and Fabbri

and was cited in a 2013 paper that displayed in the following table which points to two Carcharodontosaurids in the Kem Kem.  

Screenshot_20170325-124003.thumb.jpg.b3198aa699608abd2d9488c395a66698.jpg

Is there any way to tell a difference between Cristatusaurus and Suchomimus? 

Other than seeing in that paper I know nothing about it.  I did a quick check and although it was described using jaw sections all the teeth appeared broken.  So my guess is probably not until something diagnostic pop up.  It's the same situation that exists in the Spinos in Morocco 

@Runner64

57 minutes ago, Troodon said:

Other than seeing in that paper I know nothing about it.  I did a quick check and although it was described using jaw sections all the teeth appeared broken.  So my guess is probably not until something diagnostic pop up.  It's the same situation that exists in the Spinos in Morocco 

@Runner64

That is a good way of putting it, I appreciate it

I can certainly understand that.

I have a problem with the reported on Sauroniops' frontal-nasal being all there is and having no good provenance. So I'll continue being resistant on that for now. I just sent out some feelers to Steve Brusatte, Tom Holtz, and Paul Sereno on the subject. Hopefully I'll hear back from them soon. 

1 hour ago, hxmendoza said:

I can certainly understand that.

I have a problem with the reported on Sauroniops' frontal-nasal being all there is and having no good provenance. So I'll continue being resistant on that for now. I just sent out some feelers to Steve Brusatte, Tom Holtz, and Paul Sereno on the subject. Hopefully I'll hear back from them soon. 

Its not me that describes these species I'm just recording what multiple papers cite.    I'm sure like most theropods in this region there is lots of different opinions around,  now which one to believe?  Why you cannot ID teeth, at this time, to a genus.

I know you're not the one describing the taxa. I'm just adding to the conversation. 

I heard back pretty quickly from Paul, Steve, and Tom. 

For now, they are in the same page as me. The responses were (in no particular order, I'll keep that private):

"It's not diagnostic"

"Yeah, it is hardly a strong case for a new taxon. It has the potential for being a new taxon, but there is hardly a powerful lot of synapomorphies for it."

"Quick response: it might be a diagnostic taxon (it does have some unusual features), but it is known from such limited material, so I am a little bit naturally skeptical..."

The description even notes the similarity to Abelisauridae in some of its features. And there has been noted large Abelisaur type teeth found in the Kem Kem. 

And that doesn't even address the problem of Sauroniops' dubious provenance, which is a major issue all on its own.

So for now, I at least, will stick to Kem Kem Carcharodontosaurid teeth as being Carcharodontosaurus saharicus.

Not trying to start a fight or argument here. 

• I found this Informative 3