Hard matrix tips

amphipod

I want to extract some rugose coral and brachiopods from limestone matrix, only one issue, the matrix is pretty much as hard as the enclosed specimens, how does one separate them with out totally crapping the fossil and without spending hundreds or thousands of dollars? You guys have the experience, so I'm listening.

I would think that an air scribe would break most of the matrix off of them, at least enough to display it nicely. The Rugose corals are very hard and are usualy found loose from the matrix.

Lots of "blood, sweat and tears."

Dremel tool, Dremel vibrator scribe, small chisels, large air scribe.

"Absence of evidence is not evidence of absence"_ Carl Sagen

No trees were killed in this posting......however, many innocent electrons were diverted from where they originally intended to go.

" I think, therefore I collect fossils." _ Me

"When you have eliminated the impossible, whatever remains, however improbable, must be the truth."__S. Holmes

"can't we all just get along?" Jack Nicholson from Mars Attacks

Lots of "blood, sweat and tears."

Dremel tool, Dremel vibrator scribe, small chisels, large air scribe.

Herb, I find dynamite at the quarries does a good job of popping them out. KABOOM! :D

On much of the Ordovician rock around here I can cut the matrix down so that maybe three forth of an inch of rock surrounds the specimen. Then by applying pressure to the outer edge of the matrix with a vice, I can often "pop" the fossil free. When it works, which is more often than not, the surface is amazingly free of any matrix. This method is fast but use it on non valuable fossils in that individual results can be disastrous. You will learn from experience the angles it takes to free up the fossil without damage. This only works if the hardness of the specimen is more than the matrix. I would think the brachs and corals in Ohio's Devonian or Ordovician would be similar to what exists in Minnesota. Also as a side note, if you hear or feel any crack as you tighten down the vice, release pressure immediately and check things out. Often, the slightest visible crack in the matrix will be all that is necessary to easily remove it with a light hit from a chisel (or a tip of a nail for fine areas). This hopefully gives you an inexpensive way to end some of the frustrations of releasing fossils from their matrix. Good luck!

• I found this Informative 2

On much of the Ordovician rock around here I can cut the matrix down so that maybe three forth of an inch of rock surrounds the specimen. Then by applying pressure to the outer edge of the matrix with a vice, I can often "pop" the fossil free. When it works, which is more often than not, the surface is amazingly free of any matrix. This method is fast but use it on non valuable fossils in that individual results can be disastrous. You will learn from experience the angles it takes to free up the fossil without damage. This only works if the hardness of the specimen is more than the matrix. I would think the brachs and corals in Ohio's Devonian or Ordovician would be similar to what exists in Minnesota. Also as a side note, if you hear or feel any crack as you tighten down the vice, release pressure immediately and check things out. Often, the slightest visible crack in the matrix will be all that is necessary to easily remove it with a light hit from a chisel (or a tip of a nail for fine areas). This hopefully gives you an inexpensive way to end some of the frustrations of releasing fossils from their matrix. Good luck!

ah yes, this is helpful, I will give it a try.

Now what should be done if there isn't enough matrix to vise, but there's too much to get a good visible specimen?

First rugose had a matrix that I swear was stronger than the fossil within, that was lost, reduced to gravel. Second rugose I did came out quite well take a look post-19785-0-77618300-1444515382_thumb.jpg

Also why does every picture I seem to take come in sideways and stuff when I attach it?

It's your phone. We are hoping that the new Forum software, when finally released, will address this.

"There has been an alarming increase in the number of things I know nothing about." - Ashleigh Ellwood Brilliant

“Try to learn something about everything and everything about something.” - Thomas Henry Huxley

>Paleontology is an evolving science.

>May your wonders never cease!

Nice job, :yay-smiley-1:

thanks, I'm thinking of maybe gluing the back of the remaining matrix to a wood stand and giving the mounted specimen as a gift.

Another question how do you deal with a matrix harder than the enclosed fossil? Is that the point when I need to go buy myself a dremel, or is there another sly trick?