A Very Large Cretaceous Shark Vertebra From The Mount Laurel Formation

njfossilhunter

Some of the large cliffs in that area were really great exposures 5-10 years ago. Unfortunately they have been getting worse and worse over the years as a lot of large trees have fallen across the stream in the area, and caused huge slumps to build up along the outcrops.

• I found this Informative 2

---Wie Wasser schleift den Stein, wir steigen und fallen---

Some of the large cliffs in that area were really great exposures 5-10 years ago. Unfortunately they have been getting worse and worse over the years as a lot of large trees have fallen across the stream in the area, and caused huge slumps to build up along the outcrops.

I have noticed in both Big Brook and Ramanessin a lot of trees that had fallen and some of the gravel bars have changed or disappeared all together and as well as the dam in Ramanessin,,, on the east side has eroded so much that the thing might just collapse someday. Don't want to be standing there when that happens.

Edited by njfossilhunter

Tony
The Brooks Are Like A Box Of Chocolates,,,, You Never Know What You'll Find.

I Told You I Don't Have Alzheimer's.....I Have Sometimers. Some Times I Remember

And Some Times I Forget.... I Mostly Forget.

Well after talking to my friend he explained to me that the vert was found just below the pebbly layer which Ralph explained to me as being Wenonah .

Erose do you have a picture of that vert you mentioned from big brook...if so can you post it.

Thanks everyone for your help.

Here it is.

post-1875-0-53473600-1444819141_thumb.jpgpost-1875-0-56280500-1444819620_thumb.jpg

Edited by erose
  • I found this Informative 1

Finding publications that have illustrations of Cretaceous sawfish centra has been very difficult, not much mention of them anywhere. Onchopristis is the only one I could find. This picture is from the publication "Overabundance of piscivorous dinosaurs (Theropoda: Spinosauridae) in the mid-Cretaceous of North Africa: The Algerian dilemma" 2015. Cretaceous Research.

post-2301-0-54166400-1444822576_thumb.jpg

Here is a nice picture of an associated set of Onchopristis centra from this web site: http://www.finefossils.com/products/ONCHOPRISTIS%20SAW%20FISH%20VERTEBRAE.htm

post-2301-0-56149500-1444822649_thumb.jpg

I think these are very similar to the centrum that was originally posted, though it is probably Ischyrhiza.

• I found this Informative 2

Finding publications that have illustrations of Cretaceous sawfish centra has been very difficult, not much mention of them anywhere. Onchopristis is the only one I could find. This picture is from the publication "Overabundance of piscivorous dinosaurs (Theropoda: Spinosauridae) in the mid-Cretaceous of North Africa: The Algerian dilemma" 2015. Cretaceous Research.

I think these are very similar to the centrum that was originally posted, though it is probably Ischyrhiza.

Thanks Al Dente for taking the time to search for a vertebra that looks like mine. I had no luck finding any. The last picture you posted looks so much like the one I have. After confirming with a few people I know,, the formation I mentioned is not what I was told years back,,The vert was found in the Wenonah formation .....Thanks again for being so helpful.

Edited by njfossilhunter

Tony

I Told You I Don't Have Alzheimer's.....I Have Sometimers. Some Times I Remember

Thanks erose for posting the vertebra you found years back at Big Brook....Mine don't appear to have the raised bump like on yours..maybe its from a different section of the vertebrae column ...I just wish there was more info on the net to do more comparison ...thank you for posting your vert ,,You have been very helpful.

Edited by njfossilhunter

Tony

I don't know anything about sawfish vert's, Al . . . Is it the case that sawfish vert's have no neural or haemal processes? Or, is there some structural arrangement, other than insertion, for these processes?

I'm not sure..since i don't know much if any about this type of vertebra maybe someone here can enlighten us...hopefully

Tony