one checked off the bucket list

garyc

I have been running pretty hot lately. I don't know how long it will last; but I plan on riding this high as long as possible. Today was nothing short of spectacular. Temperatures are coming down. Clouds to block the sun. Water levels are near drought lows. I hit a spot about 4 miles up river that has been unproductive in the past. Not so today. The first find was a llama toe. I've found several of these, but still get excited about them. Then, bittersweet..... a ginormous but broken sloth claw. I have found one other broken sloth claw about 3 1/2 years ago. I was just as excited today as I was then. I was too in the moment to get an in situ pic. I had to snatch it up and make sure it was really a sloth claw. I immediately called my son and shared my excitement. Still giddy with the find I had to proclaim that since it had taken me so long to find a second broken sloth claw; then surely it would take even longer to find a complete one. A little more searching produced a nice glyptodon osteoderm.

It was getting late and I knew I needed to start the 4 miles down river. Called the wife to say I would be late, but that I was having a really good day. She said not to worry and stay as long as I want; a rare gift of permission that I gladly took advantage of . Not one minute after that call......baaaamm! A complete sloth claw! Resisting the urge to scoop it up, I got the in situ pic. Then, not sure of its stability, even though it appeared to be sitting on top of the gravel, I gently dug around it to make sure I kept it in one piece.

I had about a half mile walk back to my kayak and I swear my fingers were numb because I was holding on to it so tightly.

post-5020-0-17039600-1444446203_thumb.jpg

post-5020-0-91017800-1444446207_thumb.jpg

post-5020-0-08040800-1444446250_thumb.jpg

post-5020-0-32486800-1444446259_thumb.jpg

That's an awesome find! Congratulations.

Each dot is 50,000,000 years:

Hadean............Archean..............................Proterozoic.......................................Phanerozoic...........

Paleo......Meso....Ceno..

Ꞓ.OSD.C.P.Tr.J.K..Pg.NgQ< You are here

Doesn't time just fly by?

A beauty!

Thanks for thinking of us other members who are out hunting with you vicariously.

I love in situ shots!

What's your next goal for this site?

Oh my word! Congrats on the spectacular find! It's definitely atop my bucket list as well.

~Charlie~

"There are those that look at things the way they are, and ask why.....i dream of things that never were, and ask why not?" ~RFK
->Get your Mosasaur print
->How to spot a fake Trilobite
->How to identify a CONCRETION from a DINOSAUR EGG

:rofl:

Wicked!

Keep surfing that wave, Gary. :D What a great day. :)

The human mind has the ability to believe anything is true.  -  JJ

Dang! Just laying there patiently waiting for you. Nice job!!

Many times I've wondered how much there is to know.  
led zeppelin

MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png PaleoPartner.png.30c01982e09b0cc0b7d9d6a7a21f56c6.png IPFOTM.png IPFOTM2.png IPFOTM3.png IPFOTM4.png IPFOTM5.png

As I have mentioned to you in the past, absolurely fantastic place to hunt. Keep finding and posting. Bucket list-----Saber Cat Fang Tooth?????

Tom

Grow Old Kicking And Screaming !!
"Don't Tread On Me"

Absolutely awesome find Gary, congrats!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! That's been on my list for some time too :envy::wub:

Every once in a great while it's not just a big rock down there!

Sweet sloth claw core--that's still something on my bucket list. Thanks for the in situ photo--I love these.

Cheers.

-Ken

Gary, i am guessing, since you don't identify the location, that you are referring to the North Sulphur River? Not everyone would know what you are talking about. THANKS. Dave in Midland, Texas…..the OTHER side of Texas…….

• 4 weeks later...

Peace River sloth claw cores have been on my bucket list for some time. Closest I've got is a proximal phalanx (2 bones away).

post-7713-0-09387900-1447097998_thumb.jpg

What would I do if I ever got to the end of my ever-growing bucket list? Kick the bucket, I guess....

North Sulphur River is definitely on my bucket list. :)

Cheers.

-Ken

Archived