Field notes! A guide for taking basic to advanced field notes in paleontology

Boesse

This is enormously useful, Bobby! We all are very grateful for your sharing your professional perspective on this most important subject. It is living proof that the pro/am street can run both ways. :1-SlapHands_zpsbb015b76:

"There has been an alarming increase in the number of things I know nothing about." - Ashleigh Ellwood Brilliant

“Try to learn something about everything and everything about something.” - Thomas Henry Huxley

>Paleontology is an evolving science.

>May your wonders never cease!

Great information delivered in an entertaining manner. Thanks, Bobby. Good to see that Chas pinned the topic...he beat me to it. ;)

The human mind has the ability to believe anything is true.  -  JJ

Thank you for the entertaining way of letting me know where I have been going wrong.

And here's one for JohnJ.

JohnJ had to make a trip to the Dallas area recently to view a contextual situation because of a lack of good field notes.

I was fortunate that most of the research had been done on one of the sites previously.

But John came through and recognized the material and was able to work out a detailed context description.

The site had long since been washed away or erosion control covered it but minor outcrops were still distinguishable.

Sites long since gone are one of the reasons field notes are so important.

Thank you again Boesse and a special thank you to JohnJ for educating me on the significance of detailed observations.

Jess B.

Edited by bone2stone
  • I found this Informative 3

Thank you Bob!!

So I say to you, Ask and it will be given to you; search, and you will find; knock, and door will be opened for you. -Jesus Christ

Of course guys! I just hope this is read widely since I've experienced a lot of "nightmare" scenarios with data-less specimens. Glad you guys find this useful, and thanks to Chas for pinning it!

• I found this Informative 1

Thank you so very much for you site....I have been doing much more studying of New Jersey coastal plains formations and taking and documenting samples from as many levels and sites as I can so I have a better understanding them. Also I have been adding GPS coordinates to all the important fossil finds I have collected in the past and adding notes as well ,,its great to have a guide like yours to help me... :D:D:D

Tony
The Brooks Are Like A Box Of Chocolates,,,, You Never Know What You'll Find.

I Told You I Don't Have Alzheimer's.....I Have Sometimers. Some Times I Remember

And Some Times I Forget.... I Mostly Forget.

• 3 weeks later...

Hi Bobby,

Thank you for the link it was very informative and thought provoking it gives excellent advice and is easy to read.

Again thanks for the link.

Regards

Mike

• 3 months later...
  • 5 months later...

Really enlightening guide. I am the epitome of the uneducated collector who just happens to stumble across interesting things once in awhile. Now I understand how to give those things some actual context and meaning. Thanks.

• 8 months later...

Thank you for the informative topic! Very useful in my field notes. :dinothumb:

:hammer01::mammoth::trex: Troy Niler, amateur fossil & mineral/artifact collector:meg::bone::trilo:

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

• 3 months later...

After several bad personal examples of poor labeling (for me usually after I get home and start prepping, and I forget what bag/label it came from!) I have started using a sharpe pen, in the field, to write right on each fossil what formation it was found in.