Pleistocene micros from Merritt Island, Florida

MarcoSr

OK, I'm in love with your photography, still.

You've taken an incredible amount to time and effort to image and post these often overlooked finds. Thank you for that. This topic has lasting value for many of us. :)

John

Thank you. I try to bring out the aesthetic aspects of the micros versus just taking a picture for id purposes in hopes of getting more collectors interested in them.

Marco Sr.

• I found this Informative 1

"Any day that you can fossil hunt is a great day."

My family fossil website     Some Of My Shark, Ray, Fish And Other Micros     My Extant Shark Jaw Collection

image.png.9a941d70fb26446297dbc9dae7bae7ed.png image.png.41c8380882dac648c6131b5bc1377249.png

• 1 month later...

John

Thank you. I try to bring out the aesthetic aspects of the micros versus just taking a picture for id purposes in hopes of getting more collectors interested in them.

Marco Sr.

Worked for Me!! :D I think both Your specimens and pictures are amazing!! :faint::wub::goodjob:

I just wish that I could do as good as You with the micro-photography. :unsure::wacko:

Please keep posting. :popcorn::popcorn::popcorn:

Tony

Darwin said: " Man sprang from monkeys."

Will Rogers said: " Some of them didn't spring far enough."

My Fossil collection - My Mineral collection

My favorite thread on TFF.

Worked for Me!! :D I think both Your specimens and pictures are amazing!! :faint::wub::goodjob:

I just wish that I could do as good as You with the micro-photography. :unsure::wacko:

Please keep posting. :popcorn::popcorn::popcorn:

Tony

Tony

Thank you. It is a long process to get to where you are comfortable with your micro pictures. I've used scanners, regular cameras and microscopes over the years to get pictures of micros. I even recently upgraded my microscope to deal with hot spots/glare and depth of field issues. I don't think I'll ever be totally satisfied with my pictures but I definitely feel a lot better about them now than I did for years.

Marco Sr.

My family fossil website     Some Of My Shark, Ray, Fish And Other Micros     My Extant Shark Jaw Collection

image.png.9a941d70fb26446297dbc9dae7bae7ed.png image.png.41c8380882dac648c6131b5bc1377249.png

Marco,

I'm blown away by the diversity in that micro-matrix and, as usual, by your masterful micro-photography.

Dreams are made of micro-matrix like this.

Cheers.

-Ken

Marco,

I'm blown away by the diversity in that micro-matrix and, as usual, by your masterful micro-photography.

Dreams are made of micro-matrix like this.

Cheers.

-Ken

Ken

Florida does have a good amount of nice micro matrix from a good number of different sites. This matrix supplied by John contained a very nice diversity of a lot of specimen types that I don't normally find. Probably my favorite micro matrix from Florida.

Marco Sr.

Indeed, I've been impressed--no, make that stunned!--by the diversity that you and Julianna have teased from this micro-matrix. I've got my order into John for a sample of this latest flavor of micro-matrix. I understand that Dr. Hulbert has been interested in the finds and that some of the bulk micro-matrix has been made available to him (and a gang of grad students I expect) to sort through at FLMNH. I'm hoping that I can find some items in my batch that would be of interest to the museum so I can once again make a very modest donation to their collection.

I really like the way micro-fossils have been making their mark on the forum lately--I mean, frog toes? How cool is that?

Cheers.

-Ken

...I really like the way micro-fossils have been making their mark on the forum lately--I mean, frog toes? How cool is that?

That the mark is being made to a global audience, and the Forum is quite proud of the accomplishments of our members. :)

"There has been an alarming increase in the number of things I know nothing about." - Ashleigh Ellwood Brilliant

“Try to learn something about everything and everything about something.” - Thomas Henry Huxley

>Paleontology is an evolving science.

>May your wonders never cease!

Indeed, I've been impressed--no, make that stunned!--by the diversity that you and Julianna have teased from this micro-matrix. I've got my order into John for a sample of this latest flavor of micro-matrix. I understand that Dr. Hulbert has been interested in the finds and that some of the bulk micro-matrix has been made available to him (and a gang of grad students I expect) to sort through at FLMNH. I'm hoping that I can find some items in my batch that would be of interest to the museum so I can once again make a very modest donation to their collection.

I really like the way micro-fossils have been making their mark on the forum lately--I mean, frog toes? How cool is that?

Cheers.

-Ken

Ken

Julianna will spend a lot more time investigating this matrix. Hopefully the FLMNH will also spend time on it. So you should be seeing more on it in the future. Good luck with your matrix. What is very interesting about searching matrix for me is that you never know what you are going to find.

Marco Sr.

That the mark is being made to a global audience, and the Forum is quite proud of the accomplishments of our members. :)

Chas

It is really great to have a website like TFF so members can share their fossils and their passion for them.

Marco Sr.

What is very interesting about searching matrix for me is that you never know what you are going to find.

That is quintessentially my definition of "fun".

I can hardly wait to meet-up with John to take delivery of some "frog toe" micro-matrix. Till then I'll be glued to this forum.

Cheers.

-Ken

Wow, that is a lot of mammal micros, congrats Marco! I have always enjoyed your posts, and the picture quality is top notch as usual. Thanks for the post and pics, very informative.

Jay

Wow, that is a lot of mammal micros, congrats Marco! I have always enjoyed your posts, and the picture quality is top notch as usual. Thanks for the post and pics, very informative.

Jay

Jay

Thank you. I need to learn a lot more about mammals so I can start identifying some of these mammal teeth. The problem for me is that there are so many similar mammal species and I just don't see a lot of mammal specimens.

Marco Sr.

• 1 month later...

Great post. I just started looking through some but already have some nice specimens.

Thank you. The Merritt Island matrix has a good number of specimens that you normally don't see posted here on TFF or see in other matrix, so identifying them can be really challenging. Julianna is getting good at identifying a lot of these.

Marco Sr.

i wish i could see them in person those are amazing finds

I believe John may have sold all of the Merritt Island matrix that he had on hand but you still might want to PM him (Sacha) to see if you can get some. The specimens are much more impressive when you can find them for yourself.

Marco Sr.

• 5 months later...

Awesome pictures! I love the micro aspect of collecting. Thanks for sharing this report.

Libby

Process of identification "mistakes create wisdom".

On 4/16/2017 at 0:38 PM, masonboro37 said:

Awesome pictures! I love the micro aspect of collecting. Thanks for sharing this report.

Libby

Libby

Thank you.  It is amazing how many different species can be found in the micro vertebrate specimens of a fauna.  This fauna is especially interesting to me because I found a number of species that I don't see in most of the faunas that I look at.

Marco Sr.

• 1 month later...

Great post, Marco. Nice work!

"Absence of evidence is not evidence of absence"_ Carl Sagen

No trees were killed in this posting......however, many innocent electrons were diverted from where they originally intended to go.

" I think, therefore I collect fossils." _ Me

"When you have eliminated the impossible, whatever remains, however improbable, must be the truth."__S. Holmes

"can't we all just get along?" Jack Nicholson from Mars Attacks

On 6/15/2017 at 2:15 PM, Herb said:

Great post, Marco. Nice work!

Herb

Thank you.  I've been spending most of my time for over a year now working with specimens from matrix from my sons' Oligocene ranch in Nebraska.  I'm finding a great many specimens but just haven't had the time to post much at all in a long while.  I'm supplying specimens to 7 different researchers (1 squamate, 2 amphibian (frog and salamander), 1 rodent, 1 insectivore, 1 bird, and 1 egg shell researcher).

Marco Sr.

• I found this Informative 3

12 minutes ago, MarcoSr said:

I've been spending most of my time for over a year now working with specimens from matrix from my sons' Oligocene ranch in Nebraska.  I'm finding a great many specimens but just haven't had the time to post much at all in a long while.  I'm supplying specimens to 7 different researchers (1 squamate, 2 amphibian (frog and salamander), 1 rodent, 1 insectivore, 1 bird, and 1 egg shell researcher).

Marco Sr.

:popcorn::popcorn:

Darwin said: " Man sprang from monkeys."

Will Rogers said: " Some of them didn't spring far enough."

My Fossil collection - My Mineral collection

My favorite thread on TFF.

On 4/16/2017 at 0:38 PM, masonboro37 said:

Libby

Hi, Libby, nice to hear from you again.

"Absence of evidence is not evidence of absence"_ Carl Sagen

No trees were killed in this posting......however, many innocent electrons were diverted from where they originally intended to go.

" I think, therefore I collect fossils." _ Me

"When you have eliminated the impossible, whatever remains, however improbable, must be the truth."__S. Holmes

"can't we all just get along?" Jack Nicholson from Mars Attacks

You've embarked on a valuable undertaking, Marco. Thank you. You will soon be able to open your own museum. In a shoe box .

Mike

Start the day with a smile and get it over with.