Pleistocene micros from Merritt Island, Florida

MarcoSr

4 hours ago, ynot said:

:popcorn::popcorn:

Tony

I may actually post a few pictures this weekend that I will be sending to the researchers.  I just brought back 8 gallons of matrix from our May trip to the ranch and am finishing up searching the first gallon.  The fossil density is extremely high so far with a lot of great quality mammal and reptile specimens and a number of amphibian and eggshell specimens.

Marco Sr.

"Any day that you can fossil hunt is a great day."

My family fossil website     Some Of My Shark, Ray, Fish And Other Micros     My Extant Shark Jaw Collection

image.png.9a941d70fb26446297dbc9dae7bae7ed.png image.png.41c8380882dac648c6131b5bc1377249.png

1 hour ago, MarcoSr said:

Tony

I may actually post a few pictures this weekend that I will be sending to the researchers.  I just brought back 8 gallons of matrix from our May trip to the ranch and am finishing up searching the first gallon.  The fossil density is extremely high so far with a lot of great quality mammal and reptile specimens and a number of amphibian and eggshell specimens.

Marco Sr.

Hey Marco,

Am looking forward to seeing some more of Your excellent collection and photography!

Tony

Darwin said: " Man sprang from monkeys."

Will Rogers said: " Some of them didn't spring far enough."

My Fossil collection - My Mineral collection

My favorite thread on TFF.

Wonderful images MarcoSr!

This must have been so much fun to search.

Any idea of the depositional environment?

2 minutes ago, Doctor Mud said:

Wonderful images MarcoSr!

This must have been so much fun to search.

Any idea of the depositional environment?

The matrix comes from an area of small low islands.  The specimens are terrestrial, marine and fluvial.  So the salt water probably rose and fell over a terrestrial area with fresh water marshes.  Probably why the marine specimens are pristine and the terrestrial and fluvial specimens are slightly reworked.

Marco Sr.

• I found this Informative 2

My family fossil website     Some Of My Shark, Ray, Fish And Other Micros     My Extant Shark Jaw Collection

image.png.9a941d70fb26446297dbc9dae7bae7ed.png image.png.41c8380882dac648c6131b5bc1377249.png

16 hours ago, Pagurus said:

You've embarked on a valuable undertaking, Marco. Thank you. You will soon be able to open your own museum. In a shoe box .

Mike

Mike

That is the nice thing about these very small specimens.  They don't take up much display or storage room.

Marco Sr.

• 1 month later...

Marco Sr., your finds and photos are amazing! I recently started sorting microfossils and your photos have given me a much better idea of what I'm looking at. I can tell when something is a fossil, but I usually don't know what it is. Do you know of any good resources for increasing my knowledge of this kind of microvert anatomy?

14 hours ago, Pongoloid said:

Marco Sr., your finds and photos are amazing! I recently started sorting microfossils and your photos have given me a much better idea of what I'm looking at. I can tell when something is a fossil, but I usually don't know what it is. Do you know of any good resources for increasing my knowledge of this kind of microvert anatomy?

Unfortunately, you need to find papers that are written on the micro vertebrate fossils of the different locations/formations that you are interested in for a good id.  A lot of faunas do have papers written on them.  I usually Google search to find whatever I can.  Websites like elasmo.com have a good fauna section with a good number of micro vertebrates described.  You can check out the below link to my Fossil Forum micro posts which will show a lot of micro vertebrate fossils from different locations/faunas.  I really haven't found a single book that is a really good all encompassing resource.  You need a number of them to piece things together.

Marco Sr.

• I found this Informative 2

Thank you for the info! I'm looking through sediment from the Hell Creek formation so I'll start looking for papers on that after I go through all your links.

Guy

9 hours ago, Pongoloid said:

Thank you for the info! I'm looking through sediment from the Hell Creek formation so I'll start looking for papers on that after I go through all your links.

Guy

Guy

I normally look through matrix from marine faunas.  I have, however, looked through a little Hell Creek Formation matrix but didn't post on it here on TFF.  There are definitely some really good papers on the micros from the Hell Creek Formation.  A really good paper to look for is "An Illustrated Guide to latest Cretaceous Vertebrate Microfossils of the Hell Creek Formation of northeastern Montana" by David G. DeMar, Jr.

Marco Sr.

• I found this Informative 1

That paper is exactly what I needed. I actually met Dave on a dig a couple weeks ago and I'm sorting for the lab he works in! Everyone has been scrambling to prepare for this year's dig so it's been difficult to get information.

Thanks again, Marco! I just joined this forum and it's really paid off so far. 

Guy