Decent finds from an old spot

reddesilets

First time out for me since the floods here in the Charleston area. I have not found any of the gorgeous megs others have found the past couple weeks ;) but I have some great finds nonetheless. Toby, my 9 yr old "little paleontologist", cannot wait to go out this weekend for more. :)

This is my "star" find as far as the teeth I found today. :) Great Angi!

post-18444-0-09288400-1444951730_thumb.jpg

"Direct observation of the testimony of the earth ... is a matter of the laboratory, of the field naturalist, of indefatigable digging among the ancient archives of the earth's history."

— Henry Fairfield Osborn

Interesting bone. I saw it on the shore of the creek and almost walked past it thinking it was tree bark since it was dark on the bottom and light on the top, but nope! It was bone fossil! It's beautiful! I love it!

post-18444-0-26472500-1444951812_thumb.jpg

"Direct observation of the testimony of the earth ... is a matter of the laboratory, of the field naturalist, of indefatigable digging among the ancient archives of the earth's history."

— Henry Fairfield Osborn

The dark bottom

post-18444-0-27761100-1444951842_thumb.jpg

— Henry Fairfield Osborn

The color grading from the side view

post-18444-0-71185400-1444951890_thumb.jpg

— Henry Fairfield Osborn

A STUNNING vertebra IMO... Not sure if shark or not but man I love this vertebra!

post-18444-0-33659400-1444952089_thumb.jpg

post-18444-0-73522400-1444952089_thumb.jpg

post-18444-0-05924200-1444952090_thumb.jpg

post-18444-0-36085700-1444952090_thumb.jpg

— Henry Fairfield Osborn

Not sure what this is, if anything at all...

post-18444-0-18796200-1444952429_thumb.jpg

post-18444-0-60802500-1444952429_thumb.jpg

post-18444-0-22180800-1444952430_thumb.jpg

— Henry Fairfield Osborn

And last, but not least, the other shark teeth. There are other things, more bone pieces and possible small piece of tusk but I'm forgoing posting them for now...

post-18444-0-31372600-1444952705_thumb.jpg

post-18444-0-75988400-1444952705_thumb.jpg

post-18444-0-12535400-1444952706_thumb.jpg

post-18444-0-11572700-1444952786_thumb.jpg

— Henry Fairfield Osborn

Thanks, Jeffrey! :)

— Henry Fairfield Osborn

Very nice angy!

The vertebrae is not shark, it kind of seems fishy though. It is very nice as well. Good preservation.

Congratulations on the great finds!

Thanks! Yeah I didn't think it was a shark vertebrae but it is so beautiful! I call it "Smaug" because it looks so dragon-like to me! LOL ;) I'm such a geek, I know. :P

— Henry Fairfield Osborn

Great finds! That angy has a great charred wood color to it, gorgeous. I agree, fish vertebra. Just a thought, could the one thing be a part of a mammoth tooth? Maybe its just the pictures, but it kind of looks like one. You always seem to find cool stuff, keep it up.

Thanks, Grimlock! :) Pity I can't make a meeting this Sunday of other fossil hunters. I'm sure someone could ID a couple things for me. If I can't make it to the Mace Brown Museum of Natural History at the College of Charleston prior to the next meeting in November then surely someone can ID them then.

— Henry Fairfield Osborn

Great angy! She's a beaut. Congrats on a successful trip.

Luck is the most important skill of a fossil diver.

Thanks, y'all! ^_^

— Henry Fairfield Osborn

Just a thought, could the one thing be a part of a mammoth tooth? Maybe its just the pictures, but it kind of looks like one. You always seem to find cool stuff, keep it up.

Indeed, my mammoth alarm bells went off when I saw this as well. Because mammoth teeth are such a layer cake of enamel and dentine/cementum they seem to quickly disassemble into flattened layers when beat up over time. Probably 95% of the mammoth tooth frags I've found in the Peace River are pieces of the elongated "ovals" of the enamel layer that look like Fig Newtons that have been rolled over by a truck: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Newtons_%28cookie%29

Of course, I have been lucky as of late in finding larger chunks and even my first who mammoth tooth but mainly I collect what the river gives me and pass out the slivers of mammoth teeth to friends with kids who would think these cool (which they definitely are). Think of it as a mammoth sample and an indication that larger pieces (or entire teeth) may be hiding somewhere near.

The light color is the only thing that gives me pause as it is much lighter than the flakes from mammoth teeth that we pull from the Peace River down here in Florida. That doesn't disqualify it as possibly mammoth but makes me want to see more validation. Compare your specimen with other images of mammoth teeth online and pay particular attention to the elongated enamel ovals which is what I believe this could be.

Cool finds all around--I need to go hunting further up the coast as I have no "Riks" or "Angis" in my collection yet (don't seem to be common or even exist in my area).

Cheers.

-Ken

Thanks for the info on that piece! I've also been looking into that two tone "bone" trying to ID it... is it possible to be part of a tusk? The lighter side of it, which is the same color of the piece y'all are IDing as flattened leftovers of a tooth, is incredibly smooth. I suppose that could just as easily be the outer section of a bone, but I've not yet seen a bone that is different colors. I thought maybe the ivory of a tusk would be a different color while whatever source bone for it might could still be more bone like. IDK... I'm such a noob...

— Henry Fairfield Osborn

Thanks, all! :) Went back this past Saturday with my little paleontologist and had some decent finds... nothing big though.

Some of the more interesting things were chert (not good enough to make anything from), a skull piece from a fish that I was told was like the modern day sea robin, and then two pieces I'm not certain about...

post-18444-0-04153900-1445269616_thumb.jpg

post-18444-0-42231900-1445269616_thumb.jpg

post-18444-0-77962200-1445269616_thumb.jpg

post-18444-0-12608700-1445269617_thumb.jpg

post-18444-0-43921800-1445269617_thumb.jpg

— Henry Fairfield Osborn

— Henry Fairfield Osborn

Archived