A mooooving picture

Mary Mary

Fabulous find this site AND this tooth in a present day Minnesota cow pasture on a receded and much eroded creek bank\bed. Love these unexpected treasures but am clueless as to possible identity or age. It's about an inch high and wide. Pics are taken on only option I have, a tablet so I apologize for quality but sure appreciate any thoughts or opinions.

post-19886-0-57219200-1444955227_thumb.jpg

post-19886-0-83736600-1444955269_thumb.jpg

post-19886-0-14160400-1444955301_thumb.jpg

post-19886-0-78381000-1444955387_thumb.jpg

post-19886-0-53226300-1444955417_thumb.jpg

I'm not an expert but it does look like some deer or similar animals second premolar, first molar or second molar tooth to me. I have no clue of the age.

I am giddy with anticipation!! Thank you both so much for replying- oh this is fun!

Mary Mary, your photography is abysmal; but your wonderful enthusiasm more than compensates. I love taking pictures, but have no experience with a "tablet." Your photos do look like you have gone within the lens lowest possible focal distance. Intuitively, if you wish to photograph a small object you will move closer. However, too close and the lens cannot focus and you get blur. It's better to back up, take a crisp shot and then zoom in by cropping the image.

No matter, someone here will recognize your object from the provided shots. Have fun and welcome.

Human beings, who are almost unique in having the ability to learn from the experience of others, also are remarkable for their apparent disinclination to do so. - Douglas Adams, Last Chance to See

Deer family, but I think the size would be more in line with moose.

Maybe not. I can't say that I actually found a cloths pin to compare it to.

Edited by Rockwood

Deer have been around for quiet a while and are commonly found on Pleistocene sites. Whether the tooth you found is that old is unlikely but a nice example of an old deer tooth that can be used someday as a reference to other teetth you may find. Having a good reference collection is very handy when trying to ID fossils because many animals have similar looking teeth. Camel teeth look similar to deer teeth, oreodont teeth as well. Comparing the subtle differences can help with identification.

Welcome to the forum, Nice tooth I think it looks like a dear don't know if its a fossil tooth though.

Regards

Mike

Welcome to the Forum, MaryMary.

The tooth is an upper cheek tooth from a cervid. If the tooth is truly about an inch wide, it would be a humongus deer, and more likely to be something like an elk or moose. (Length and width of the crown are the important measurements, height of the crown is less important.)

Similar teeth from deer in Florida are substantially smaller, about a half-inch wide. Deer are larger in the north, but this tooth is unrealistically large. Best guess with info at hand . . . elk.

post-42-0-41377500-1445016002_thumb.jpg

http://pristis.wix.com/the-demijohn-page

What seest thou else

In the dark backward and abysm of time?

---Shakespeare, The Tempest

Another TFF first!

I just Googled "Here's a moose for comparison" (in quotes), and there were NO HITS!

Shortly, TFF will be the only place in cyberspace to view the phrase. :)

"There has been an alarming increase in the number of things I know nothing about." - Ashleigh Ellwood Brilliant

“Try to learn something about everything and everything about something.” - Thomas Henry Huxley

>Paleontology is an evolving science.

>May your wonders never cease!

Another TFF first!

I just Googled "Here's a moose for comparison" (in quotes), and there were NO HITS!

Shortly, TFF will be the only place in cyberspace to view the phrase. :)

Hokey smoke, Bullwinkle!

Human beings, who are almost unique in having the ability to learn from the experience of others, also are remarkable for their apparent disinclination to do so. - Douglas Adams, Last Chance to See

Hokey smoke, Bullwinkle!

Actually it was a cow moose. It was suffering from parasites and game wardens euthanized it near my house.