Real or fake, please help

Crazycanuck_17

Can you guys give me your opinion on these eggs? I bought them in trust but scared to think that perhaps they are fakes.... I'd like to know ASAP as I'll contact PayPal immediately if this is the case... They apparently came from a collection and the seller actually has VERY GOOD reviews with several items sold.... He says a full guarantee but I want your opinion.... Please take a look and let me know your thoughts ASAP, thanks

post-19896-0-85604400-1444992726_thumb.jpg

post-19896-0-15290600-1444992738_thumb.jpg

Edited by Crazycanuck_17

If you could post clear close up photos of the piece showing the surface that would be great. Seeing the texture is important. Thanks!

Best regards,

Paul

...I'm back.

Hi Paul, I've added one close up, let me know your thoughts... Much appreciated and have a fantastic day!

Are these from the Malaysian seller on ebay? I looked at these too but decided not to buy. They look like the same hadrosaur eggs a few threads down where the consensus was that they are glued together from peices of shell. I bought 4 eggs from this guy before I realized that they are reconstructed and wish I hadn't.

http://www.thefossilforum.com/index.php?/topic/57288-hadrosaur-egg/

Edited by HamptonsDoc

Eggs nests are typically not found that perfect and positioned as a display item. They are either glued shell fabrications or complete fabrications.

• I found this Informative 1

It would be of interest to see a side view. How do they rest on the matrix "base?" Purely as a perception from the provided photo, I have the apprehension that they may have been "placed" in the current configuration. Look at the eggs from the side with special attention to how they interface with the matrix. If you will look at photos of legit single eggs, you will see the exploded hatching window that is typical as the egg adjoins the matrix. Compare this conceptually with how your piece appears. Also, as HamptonsDoc suggests the origin of the piece may be a vital piece of information. Good luck, have fun in your evaluation no matter the outcome.

edit: While I was two-finger typing, Troodon succinctly made one of the points I was trying to voice.

Edited by snolly50
  • I found this Informative 1

Human beings, who are almost unique in having the ability to learn from the experience of others, also are remarkable for their apparent disinclination to do so. - Douglas Adams, Last Chance to See

They look very similar to the Hadrosaur egg I purchased from a Malaysian seller on ebay. Although I haven't had mine checked out by a professional, I'm certain mine is not authentic. I saw these Dino eggs, or something like them listed by the same seller I bought mine from as well. I'm disappointed that ebay has allowed this seller to continue selling these "hadrosaur eggs".

It appeared to me that he was using a shill (another account) to drive prices up. That might be the reason he has good feedback. Also, some of these sellers sell a lot of inexpensive items to improve their feedback rating.

If you decide to return the item follow ebay's procedures for making returns. The seller is responsible for return shipping costs. I had to open a case (file a complaint) with ebay to get my money back.

Picture 3, sorry but I had to upload them one at a time as it was too large to combine... Let me know your thoughts

post-19896-0-55934400-1445028440_thumb.jpg

You will be in a better position to judge with the piece in hand - do you see a fissure, a visible break where the egg meets the matrix? I think I do. This would be an indication of "placement." In a natural presentation there is no seam. This, of course, is not evidence that the eggs are spurious. However, if one element is contrived......

Human beings, who are almost unique in having the ability to learn from the experience of others, also are remarkable for their apparent disinclination to do so. - Douglas Adams, Last Chance to See

Looks like one of the thousands churned out in Chinese factory every year.

Return it while you still can.

Looking forward to meeting my fellow Singaporean collectors! Do PM me if you are a Singaporean, or an overseas fossil-collector coming here for a holiday!

Did yours turn out to be a fake?

The consensus from the pictures I posted here and from the experienced collectors I showed mine to is that they are fabricated from peices of probable actual eggs. If I remember correctly the $1699 asking price in eBay for the piece you have is too steep in my opinion for a reconstructed nest with so many questions behind it. Read through the thread I posted a link to above and also search for the thread called "eBay scam" to learn more about these.