Another keeper crab

PRK

Yes I've prepared both sides a couple times, however the legs are too thin to support themselves and usually are lost. So only the body and claws get full prep of both sides

That's a stunning fossil :wub:

"There has been an alarming increase in the number of things I know nothing about." - Ashleigh Ellwood Brilliant

“Try to learn something about everything and everything about something.” - Thomas Henry Huxley

>Paleontology is an evolving science.

>May your wonders never cease!

A lot of time went into this one. Drive to the rural local, discover, pack out through dense brush, drive home, MANY hours of very detailed prep including matrix-----, ENJOY!

A lot of time went into this one. Drive to the rural local, discover, pack out through dense brush, drive home, MANY hours of very detailed prep including matrix-----, ENJOY!

It was all worth it!

I guess that's one of the beauties of self found self prepped fossils. They are amazing in themselves but also a testament to the journey you took to unveil a beautiful fossil.

That's big too for a Pulalius isn't it?

Can you tell if it's a male or female? The male and female Tumidocarcinus crabs (closely related) have different abdomens. The females are more inflated.

I don't want to steal any limelight from your masterpiece. I wanted to show these as examples of sexual dimorphism in crabs.

These aren't mine, they belong to a great kiwi crab prepper:

Male Tumidocarcinus giganteus

post-11936-0-71506400-1445077237_thumb.jpg

Female Tumidocarcinus giganteus

post-11936-0-54530900-1445077302_thumb.jpg

The ratio of the length of the big to smaller claw is greater in males too. The big claws get bigger.

I don't want to steal any limelight from your masterpiece. I wanted to show these as examples of sexual dimorphism in crabs.

These aren't mine, they belong to a great kiwi crab prepper:

Male Tumidocarcinus giganteus

attachicon.gifimage.jpg

Female Tumidocarcinus giganteus

attachicon.gifimage.jpg

The ratio of the length of the big to smaller claw is greater in males too. The big claws get bigger.

Holy snarge again even better.

Jeff

Hey a couple of thoughts -

1. Is this eligible for FOTM?

2. I don't know about others but I think I might need a drool bucket or at least someone else might deserve one. We've seen some amazing crabs prepped on here and the standard of prep by TFF members is all Exceptional.

I think PRK was also fortunate enough to have Mother Nature provide some truly A-grade material in this case which makes the piece all the more drool and envy inducing.

That's my 2 cents...,,,,

This WAS my favorite

Wow!

Those tippy tips must be delicate work. I've done one ventral and they are much more work than dorsals. So much going on.

That is so awesome as is, if it were mine is be tempted to do a little more smoothing to make the piece a bit more balanced to the eye, like almost to the edge, leaving a natural "frame" of unsmoothed rock around the edge. Kinda like the "crab cup" in your OP. Hope you don't mind this observation.

Could be a good reason you stopped when you did though and that's just my idea of what is visually pleasing.

I'm getting motivated to do more crab prep!

Edited by Doctor Mud

What tools did you use (apart from nerves of steel) to prep this other ventral. It's a little fella and must have taken a steady hand.....