HeartandFist

I purchased this fossil Globidens jaw fragment at a Gem and Mineral Show about a month ago. The crown of the tooth appears to be real, as does the jaw bone. Being cautious of Moroccan fakes, I made sure not to pay too much for the piece. While the individual parts appear to be genuine, I have noticed repair marks and markings that suggest the tooth may be composited onto the root. Any opinions or insight into the matter would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

- Geoff

post-11000-0-67722900-1445140678_thumb.jpeg

post-11000-0-63477200-1445140696_thumb.jpeg

post-11000-0-00205000-1445140718_thumb.jpeg

Everything you've said is correct looks like a real jaw and crown. Looks strongly like a composite. Still a very nice display item, enjoy...

• I found this Informative 2

That's a great looking tooth. The jaw fragment looks righteous as well. To delve into the possibility that it is a "glue-on;" look at the joint under a 10X loupe; check the area with a UV lamp; probe the joint area gently with a needle and compare the texture/hardness to other areas of the piece. A glue hardened area will "feel" tougher, harder. Just be careful not to be overly zealous and badly mar the fossil, it presently displays very well.

Human beings, who are almost unique in having the ability to learn from the experience of others, also are remarkable for their apparent disinclination to do so. - Douglas Adams, Last Chance to See

I agree with the others. Real jaw, real tooth. As for it being a possible composite. I think these photos aren't clear enough to say for sure. If you could make some closeups of the join between the tooth and root with better lighting. That would greatly help in determining if it's real or fake.

With these photos right now. I think there are some things that look a little suspicious. But nothing conclusive. In the third photo, on the right side of the tooth on the edge of the enamel where the tooth joins the root. I find this suspicious. On a tooth that is still sitting on it's original root, you wouldn't expect damage there are it doesn't protude and is less likely to be damaged than say the tip of the tooth. On a loose tooth crown, this bottom of the tooth is more likely to be damaged. Which might suggest it doesn't belong.

In the same photo, on the left side of the root surface, it looks like there's been some smoothing going on. This would be common for composites. But the lighting in the photo isn't optimal so it's hard to tell for sure.

If real, this is a really nice piece indeed.

Olof Moleman AKA Lord Trilobite

Here is an image of a Globidens anterior tooth and jaw fragment, I just finished prepping. At the crudely drawn arrows note the irregular break line. This area of the piece had matrix that was much harder than the rest. It would appear that the crown broke off during collection and was glued back with the substance utilized, hardening the attendant matrix. The former break is very irregular and the two pieces fit together along those irregularities like a puzzle piece. For that reason I am convinced that the tooth and root belong together.

post-8873-0-47466000-1445172642_thumb.jpg

Edited by snolly50

Human beings, who are almost unique in having the ability to learn from the experience of others, also are remarkable for their apparent disinclination to do so. - Douglas Adams, Last Chance to See