My Jurassic Park - The Judith River Formation (Montana)

Troodon

I accidentally, as usual, found additional information on one of my mystery foot claws on post #3. Thought I would pass the information on since you might have one in your collection and it's different.

The mystery claw

attachicon.gifOrnithFoot2.jpgattachicon.gifOrnithFoot2a.jpgattachicon.gifOrnithFoot2b.jpg

In 2008 Nick Longrich published a paper about a new large bodied Ornithomimid that was found in the Dinosaur Park Formation, Alberta that could not be assigned to Struthiomimus or Ornithomimus. It features much larger hand claws and a foot claw that where the flexor depression is unusually deep, see my white arrow.

Compare it to the photo of a Struthiomimus attachicon.gifStruth.jpg

Although my claw was found in Montana the fauna is similar and hopefully one day a taxon will be assigned.

attachicon.gifOrnith-LargeBod.pdf

Funny, small world. I used to own that same claw years ago! Fortunately I had it cast before I sold it. I think I sold it to the late Glenn Zamenski, if I recall.

Anyway, yes it was very different from Ornithomimus or Struthiomiumus. It most resembled the foot claws of Archaeornithomimus, based on a paper on that Mongolian taxon I found and read years before Nick Longrich's paper, so I believe I tentatively had it labelled as cf. Archaeornithomimus sp.

I'm glad it went to a good home. That was one of my favorite claws. Very unusual. I parted with it several years before Nick's paper came out. It was interesting that it still hasn't been named. Too few parts.

Edited by hxmendoza

I've always said the dinosaur fossil community is a small one and it constantly keeps proving it. I did pick up the claw from Glenn.

I contacted Nick Longrich to see if anything has been officially been described on the large bodied Ornithomimid.

He responded was that its unofficially called "Bigassomimus" :)

No I missing a few formations :P but working hard to fill those voids.

I know I don't have to tell you but one cannot have to many Tyrannosaur teeth. :D

Do you have any Australian dinosaur material?

• 3 months later...

I know this is an older post, but I loved seeing your stuff. I'm a massive dinosaur fan, your collection is really impressive :)

I know this is an older post, but I loved seeing your stuff. I'm a massive dinosaur fan, your collection is really impressive :)

Very nice collection! :popcorn:

Thank for your kind words. These posts never age feel free to comment on them anytime. Will have to add to it shortly

• 3 weeks later...

Three new items to add to my Jurassic Park

The first is a very small hand claw from a Caenagnathid dinosaur. It may be from an undescribed Chirostenotes dinosaur since the morphology is similiar and could be an adult. One tiny Chirostenotes out of the Hell Creek is currently being studied.

post-10935-0-03490300-1469653379_thumb.jpg

A partially rooted tooth from a Tyrannosaurid. Serrations are great. Probably a juvenile animal.

post-10935-0-92364100-1469653734_thumb.jpgpost-10935-0-39075500-1469653737_thumb.jpg

Every once and a while something special becomes available and you're lucky to be around to pick it up. This is the case with my next specimen a Skull Dome from a Pachycephalosaurid dinosaur. I believe it to be a Colepiocephale sp. and the first out the Judith River of Montana. There has been a paper written on it and I'm in the process of acquiring it. I do not believe its been published but I'll know more after I see it. The dome is in a fantastic state of preservation, one of the best I've seen. I believe this is an adult. I attached an copy of a page from a paper of one that was described from Alberta.

post-10935-0-17697100-1469653852_thumb.jpgpost-10935-0-02938400-1469653860_thumb.jpgpost-10935-0-56632200-1469653848_thumb.jpgpost-10935-0-81376700-1469653845_thumb.jpgpost-10935-0-78006300-1469653856_thumb.jpg

• I found this Informative 4

Nice acquisitions!

I find it amazing how someone could identify the dome, or for that matter, stuff like ankylosaur scutes, or random bits of bone. Untrained eyes like mine would pass it over as an "interesting-shaped rock", and the treasure would be lost forever.

Looking forward to meeting my fellow Singaporean collectors! Do PM me if you are a Singaporean, or an overseas fossil-collector coming here for a holiday!

Nice acquisitions!

I find it amazing how someone could identify the dome, or for that matter, stuff like ankylosaur scutes, or random bits of bone. Untrained eyes like mine would pass it over as an "interesting-shaped rock", and the treasure would be lost forever.

Thanks Andy. Short story...

My friend in Montana, a rancher/digger, his brother, was walking a fence line to repair it and kicked this rock looking object. Brought it to his brother to look at turned out to be a beautiful Pachy dome. A new collecting technique was discovered.

Edited by Troodon

• 8 months later...

I'm always a big fan of full or partially rooted theropod teeth and will always look to add them to my collection.   I had an opportunity to acquire this specimen that was collected this past fall.  Its a Tyrannosaurid from the Montana's Judith River Formation.   Looking at shape and size my guess its probably Daspletosaurus but no way to confirm.  Maybe these teeth should have ID tags on them, born here :ighappy:

58dabf5525100_TyrannoTooth(A)JRD2D.thumb.jpg.a0d343339772769d4f33fc41000aa322.jpg58dabf58569c5_TyrannoTooth(B)JRD2D.thumb.jpg.1e119e1da8847ce348c486e98d114fee.jpg58dabf5e7fc04_TyrannoTooth(D)JRD2D.thumb.jpg.d2aff7a6f3729b09f5bed7813860a7fb.jpg

• I found this Informative 2

Another prize piece!

I could look at that root all day.

Looking forward to meeting my fellow Singaporean collectors! Do PM me if you are a Singaporean, or an overseas fossil-collector coming here for a holiday!

• 9 months later...

I see you have found a new way of photographing your raptor teeth.

The 8mm tooth is incredible.

For the 12mm tooth, wouldn't it be S. langstoni due to upwards pointing serrations?