What is this thing?

Rockchopper

Found this strange looking object near the tail of a Green River Priscacera that I'm working on. Curious as to what it might be. It almost appears attached to the fish. Any thoughts? post-19802-0-83066900-1445359282_thumb.jpg

Maybe a hyperostotic fish bone ?

Hard to say, but it does look attached to one of the vertebra or spines.

Looking forward to others input.

Regards,

Tim    -  VETERAN SHALE SPLITTER

MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png      PaleoPartner.png.30c01982e09b0cc0b7d9d6a7a21f56c6.png.a600039856933851eeea617ca3f2d15f.png     Postmaster1.jpg.900efa599049929531fa81981f028e24.jpg    VFOTM.png.f1b09c78bf88298b009b0da14ef44cf0.png  VFOTM  --- APRIL - 2015  

John Muir ~ ~ ~ ~   ><))))( *>  About Me      

My amateur eyes notice a spot on the tail dorsal to what you are asking about that makes one think this tail has been injured. There is a divergence of the tail rays as one approaches the base of the tail. At this spot, a lighter material also exists. So if this fish was almost eaten then the object you describe could be a result of the same event. As I say, I have no expertise in suggesting this. Good luck with your search of an answer.

It's not a coprolite - it's flat and shiny like a flat piece of bone - but has a "tendril" extending from it. Though I do like the suggestion of an ancient Fish & Game release tag!

I agree... it is not a coprolite. Coprolites form the Green River are not black and shiny. I think the pachyostotic bone is the best guess.

Ok jpc. - had to look that one up! So if I interpret it right, it's a non-pathological condition in vertebrates where bones become thicker. Which begs the question - which bone was it that became that way? Still like the suggestion of a Game & Fish tag.

I've got to admit that prepping these fish is a lot of fun - and educational. Who would have thought I'd learn a new word today! Thanks jpc!

Priscacara don't have a well developed hypural. Do you suppose the gene for it somehow got turned on slightly out of place ?

My guess would be fish scale (drifted in from somewhere else)

Thomas

Edited by oilshale

Be not ashamed of mistakes and thus make them crimes (Confucius, 551 BC - 479 BC).