Central Florida "unnofficial" Club?

Major

What if a few of us Central-Floridians (Harry Pristis, Cris, Anson, me, any others, etc) make an "unnofficial" club?

There'd be no charge, we'd do nothing major, but it would give us opportunities to enter local quarries, ideally reddick or some other place, etc.

We could try to get in somewhere like once every month or two, maybe in the summer more often, but I have yet to get my learners (I really should) and school gets in the way a bit.

Ideas?

Turok1copy.png

I've tried it before... It might be worth trying again, but all the quarries turned me down when I called them... Insurance reasons, they said. I even told them everyone would be willing to sign liability release forms, stay far away from the actual pits, etc, etc...No deal... I assume you just need connections - a friend that's high up in the company. A smart thing to do might be to contact someone higher up in a fossil club in the area and see how they go about getting permission for their clubs..

Tell them you can produce a liability waiver if they don't have one on file currently, then write it in a fashion that protects THEM. You are fighting an uphill battle in FL though - access keeps getting harder everywhere, especially FL. And yes knowing someone in a quarry helps...in the past I've made chance connections with quarry owners then spun it into permission. And I've found that once in a quarry on a club trip, with the right approach you can secure permission to return as an individual in some cases - at least that's been my experience in TX. Good luck!

Grüße,

Daniel A. Wöhr aus Südtexas

"To the motivated go the spoils."

Let's just see if our bullets will reach them!

I'll start contacting clubs and even museums... can't hurt, and not likely many people will get back at me, either.

But it can't hurt to try!

~Eric

Turok1copy.png

Keep me updated on it, Eric... If you find anyway in, I'll start calling people again also for access to other places... I didn't try museums or anything like that.. It might be a good approach.

Museums are a great idea. My first fossil hunt was through a museum in IL.

Good Luck with this..

Welcome to the forum!

Keep me updated on it, Eric... If you find anyway in, I'll start calling people again also for access to other places... I didn't try museums or anything like that.. It might be a good approach.

Museums could both be a good thing and a bad thing..

BUT if it's the only way, it's the only way.

We'll have to see. I've emailed florida fossil hunters and I'm about to email the paleontological society.

Why don't we construct a useable and well written plea for help? lol

~Eric

Turok1copy.png