Need Textbook Recomendation

jkfoam

I recently revisited one of my favorite Navarro Group Corsicana Formation locations in Bexar County, Texas and collected some dirt for microfossils. The location use to have good macro fossil collecting but they have all been picked up but it is still very rich in microfossils if you like ostracods and forams. After washing and screening some of the dirt I was examining some of the material and found the foram pictured below.

post-8-1239142506_thumb.jpg

None of my references come close to an identification. Can someone recommend a good text for forams. I'm looking for something more recent than M.F. Glaessner's "Principals of Micropaleontology", 1947, Wiley, New York, N.Y. I'm going to the U of Texas library to look at J.A. Cushman's USGS Professional Paper No.206, "Upper Cretaceous Foraminifera of the Gulf Coastal Region of the United States" but I still would like a general reference for my personal library.

JKFoam

The Eocene is my favorite

I looked on that sire and think yours matches the Ichthyolaria cf. squammosa.

Not positive though. It's near the end of the page under fossils...

Welcome to the forum!

I looked on that sire and think yours matches the Ichthyolaria cf. squammosa.

Not positive though. It's near the end of the page under fossils...

Roz, I think you are right, at least to Genus anyway. My location is Upper Cretaceous.

JKFoam

The Eocene is my favorite

I have 2 recommendations for you, both from the UT Bureau of Economic Geology (BEG) Publications:

BL2612 Foraminifera of the Cretaceous of Central Texas OP - Out of Print - Available as reprint only

RI0022 Handbook of Cretaceous Foraminifera of Texas - OP

The first one can be ordered from the BEG. I'd try Amazon.com or your favorite on-line used book supplier for the 2nd one.

Good luck,

Grandpa

Dear JKFoam,

the "BL2612 Foraminifera of the Cretaceous of Central Texas OP" is available as a free pdf-download, unfortunately I can't recall the link. I hold a copy and may send it if you don't find it yourself.

Foram-Mike, Owner of www.foraminifera.eu
So far we show 12000+ images of foraminifera online for free

Send us your images, samples and specimens to enlarge our coverage

FeuLogoblack.jpg

Dear JKFoam,

the "BL2612 Foraminifera of the Cretaceous of Central Texas OP" is available as a free pdf-download, unfortunately I can't recall the link. I hold a copy and may send it if you don't find it yourself.

Fascinating specialty; score one for the little guys!

You, and your wonderful project, are a great addition to the Forum; WELCOME :)

"There has been an alarming increase in the number of things I know nothing about." - Ashleigh Ellwood Brilliant

“Try to learn something about everything and everything about something.” - Thomas Henry Huxley

>Paleontology is an evolving science.

>May your wonders never cease!