Looking for recommendations on specimen cabinets

mrieder79

It's a good problem to have-my tooth collection is outgrowing my storage space. I've been using some drawers in my dressers but I will soon need a separate cabinet. I've looked on the internet but not found anything satisfactory in my price range (100-200 us dollars). Does anyone have any suggestions?

Luck is the most important skill of a fossil diver.

Maybe try IKEA? I got my display cabinet within your price range and it's great for display and storage. Everything from IKEA is pretty cheap.

I'm a neatness nut and have everything organized in cabinets. I'll drop by the Goodwill stores...they can have all sorts of items that can be used to nicely store or display fossils.....map cabinets, tool chests, artists chests, etc. I like to use something with a bit of character.

Monitor craigslist in your area. I see drafting drawers/flat files/art cabinets fairly regularly. Since they are made for storing drafting paper and art the pull out drawers are great for fossils.

This is a little more than you want to spend but would set you up for years to come. I bet you could talk them down some also.
Edited by Fossil Claw

Don't bother with the link, here's what you will get:

"This posting has been deleted by its author.

(The title on the listings page will be removed in just a few minutes.)"

Don

Edited by FossilDAWG

I've always built my own flat files but the materials alone are usually over $200. But mine are fancy (ball bearing glides, metal pulls, etc.) Now if you have any carpentry skills you can make decent ones for that amount using just wood.

Flat files never seem to be cheap when bought from even used furniture shops. I would, as suggested, keep an eye on your local Craigslist. I make a point of every so often visiting thrift shops and yard/garage sales can produce useful things.

Good luck with this.

Always on a budget, I'm happy with the steel and glass cabinets from Klingsbo sold by IKEA. The vertical 6 footer is about $120, and the horizontal one is about $130. I like them not just for low cost, but also high visibility (mostly glass). Long term durability comes from omission of particle board from construction. Also, if you want to add more in the future, they'll all match as opposed to thrift shop buys. The only negative I can think of is that you need to rig up your own lighting, either track or shelf lighting. If you were in Texas and wanted quality wooden cases of some sort, I'd steer you toward an expert craftsman like erose.

Grüße,

Daniel A. Wöhr aus Südtexas

"To the motivated go the spoils."

How about sharing some pictures of the ones you built?

I've always built my own flat files but the materials alone are usually over $200. But mine are fancy (ball bearing glides, metal pulls, etc.) Now if you have any carpentry skills you can make decent ones for that amount using just wood.

Flat files never seem to be cheap when bought from even used furniture shops. I would, as suggested, keep an eye on your local Craigslist. I make a point of every so often visiting thrift shops and yard/garage sales can produce useful things.

Good luck with this.

There are two separate items...display cabinets and storage cabinets. I have a couple hundred specimens on display in my 'museum' but have a need to store several thousand in my storage cabinets. The main criteria for storage is lots of space, ease of organization, access, etc. A lot of display cases are nice but they can't handle a lot of volume and many specimens are either too small or don't have the physical appeal for display.

Hi I have seen display cabinets made from old fish tanks that stack on top of each other try a pet shop?

Regards

Mike

Gotcha. One thing I do to sort of achieve both objectives is to fill a 12 x 16 Riker with small specimens, position it in the back of each shelf (it leans back about 10-15 deg due to shelf height constraint), then place bigger stuff on the shelf in front of the Riker, one shelf per formation, age, or site. Good luck in your quest.

Grüße,

Daniel A. Wöhr aus Südtexas

"To the motivated go the spoils."

If it is for display purposes the Ikea glass three shelf cabinet cannot be beat at $89 Canadian plus $14 for a light. I have three of them and they do the job ....

I build my own and also like using Ikea glass cabinets. My self built cabinets on left hold riker cases full of teeth.

post-10935-0-29540400-1446036616_thumb.jpg

Edit: I added lights to the Ikea cabinets

Edited by Troodon

Your collection continues to amaze me.

I build my own and also like using Ikea glass cabinets. My self built cabinets on left hold riker cases full of teeth.

attachicon.gif20150906_165732-1.jpg

Edit: I added lights to the Ikea cabinets

Hey thanks for the props Dan! Where are all the rich collectors anyway? Seems like all of us are on a budget.

They spent all their money on fossils!

Great ideas guys. Unfortunately, non of the thrift stores or "Goodwill" type stores seem to carry anything like this in my area. I think they are pre picked over before anything even hits the sales floor.

Edited by caldigger

Dorensigbadges.JPG       

Here's what I use. I have two rooms of displays, cabinets, etc. And hasn't cost me more than $250 total. I go to thrift stores...convert glass topped coffee tables, etc into display tables...$10 each, add a board, cloth ( cloth from thrift store)...or use older map, document cabinets. Clean them up. Cases on top of wall units are made from boards and inexpensive recycled glass...shelves are painterd boards, etc.

Again, if you line displays with cloth, they can look 'classy'.

The bulk of my collection not on display is in 'Plano' boxes...these store neatly and easily. They are inexpensive at Walmart. I like to use the same sizes...24 adjustable sections in each box.

I can switch displays at times by switching drawers, etc.

Here's a sample of displays and storage.

What I don't do is keep fossils wrapped up in paper, put into cardboard boxes and stuffed away. I found they just take up space and are rarely looked at. I like things 'at hand'.

post-19254-0-61730300-1446060175_thumb.jpg

post-19254-0-04762800-1446060192_thumb.jpg

post-19254-0-31368200-1446060206_thumb.jpg

post-19254-0-46197100-1446060221_thumb.jpg

post-19254-0-63477700-1446060265_thumb.jpg

post-19254-0-43617800-1446060286_thumb.jpg

post-19254-0-61888000-1446060484_thumb.jpg

post-19254-0-39819400-1446060886_thumb.jpg

Edited by Ridgehiker

9/10ths of my collection is in Riker mounts, mostly by location.

"There has been an alarming increase in the number of things I know nothing about." - Ashleigh Ellwood Brilliant

“Try to learn something about everything and everything about something.” - Thomas Henry Huxley

>Paleontology is an evolving science.

>May your wonders never cease!

They spent all their money on fossils!

Great ideas guys. Unfortunately, non of the thrift stores or "Goodwill" type stores seem to carry anything like this in my area. I think they are pre picked over before anything even hits the sales floor.

I get that same impression here. The one time I saw an ideal item (shallow drawer unit) on craigslist, it was within days of having been sold when I enquired about it, and it was on the Mainland so it would have been hard or me to get anyway. There must be a big demand for them, not just from fossil collectors but for any number of other conceivable purposes as well.

I have had to build my own (with help). They are not as classy as erose's but they do the trick as well as any of the others here.

post-4372-0-40286100-1446085971_thumb.jpg

I did find one item online but it needed a lot of refurbishing, but it's nice now:

post-4372-0-23062500-1446086042_thumb.jpg

9/10ths of my collection is in Riker mounts, mostly by location.

I like Riker mounts. However, not as easy to find locally as they once were. I have arrowheads in Riker mounts and a hodgepodge of other collectibles.

• 1 month later...

For collecting cabnets try school auctions or used school equip sellers, even call local universtities, and look for/ enquire about used filmstrip (remember those silly 25 frame 35mm film strips the high tech ones had a casette tape w/ them) cabnets. normally they're 4 drawers of the perfect depth and on rollers or rolling bases.

“Beautiful is what we see. More beautiful is what we understand. Most beautiful is what we do not comprehend.” N. Steno

• 2 weeks later...

Found this flat file on craigslist at an antique store in Louisville. Perfect size to put my display cabinet on top of. 40 in wide by 28 inch deep while my display case is 26 by 24.

Needs some TLC but has good bones and was cheep (Ziggie, like you I am a big fan of cheap). Heading down there in about an hour. Not looking forward to the 2hr drive each way, but I have been looking for one of these for awhile and have not been able to find one anywhere.

I plan to fill in the imperfections with wood filler, then a light sanding and then paint it with Rust oleum Kona furniture paint.

It will be so much easier to change out the display with the flat file being on casters!

If there are any Louisville members that need one, they have one left. Its a little bigger than the one I bought. Make an offer, I talked them down a good bit on mine so don't pay full asking price.

post-16815-0-01383500-1451134204_thumb.jpg

post-16815-0-97581900-1451134368_thumb.jpg