Claws....., turtle? croc? bird? mammal?

Adie_uk

Hi guys and girls, after finding another small claw last month while sieving its prompted me to try and get them identified, I have tried the natural history museum (London) web site for an id but no reply to that. tried at local museum but the right people where not around at the time although the chap did say the smallest one could be bird and we looked at an image in the book.. London clay fossils of kent and Essex. these fossils are around 30 myo the area was ponds and swamps with areas of land I guess much like where the croc and turtle fossils are found in Florida today. do you think these can be identified or would it just be guesses seems a shame if they cant.

cheers in advance :)

post-10263-0-98410400-1445702215_thumb.jpg

post-10263-0-42248600-1445702235_thumb.jpg

post-10263-0-42248600-1445702235.jpg

They look like turtle to me.

" We're all puppets, I'm just a puppet who can see the strings. "

Yes, like turtle. However, it is a generic shape of unguals from a few groups of vertebrates.

The best view to identify a claw of a turtle is the proximal. This is the view of the surface where the claw attaches to the previous phalanges..

Edited by Ridgehiker

I cannot go with avian for any of them. Even the smallest has too little curvature, even for a waterfowl or wader.

• I found this Informative 1

"There has been an alarming increase in the number of things I know nothing about." - Ashleigh Ellwood Brilliant

“Try to learn something about everything and everything about something.” - Thomas Henry Huxley

>Paleontology is an evolving science.

>May your wonders never cease!

does anyone have a fossil croc or alligator claw to compair as I cant find any good images on line