Megalodon tooth & phosphates (toxicity?)

Jenerator

So I just found/bought this beautifully white, little megalodon tooth that I want to turn into a necklace for my son. Just a little leary about toxicity as it was found in the phosphate mines in Florida. Here's the quote from the site:

"The Bone Valley Region of Central Florida is world renown for their beautifully colored Megalodon tooth. These highly collectable teeth are getting hard to come by as access to nearly all the mines and phosphate pits where they are found has been shut off."

I plan to wire-wrap it & hang it on a chain or black, leather cord. I know phosphates are used in detergents & also in a lot of our food as a preservative (especially cured meats) & considered toxic by most people in the health professions. Could the phosphates that make the tooth so pretty leach out & cause problems for my son? I don't know if the wire wrapping could dig into the tooth & cause dust particles that could get breathed in. Am I being paranoid? If you think it can be toxic we'll just keep it on a stand or something.

Here's what it looks like.

post-19900-0-00356100-1445783926_thumb.jpgpost-19900-0-26587800-1445783934_thumb.jpg

Edited by Jenerator

It is a lovely specimen! As such, I almost hate to see it get banged-up over time through use as jewelry. Usually it is the c-grade 'beater' that gets wrapped.

As far as toxicity goes, I think the risks are zero.

• I found this Informative 2

"There has been an alarming increase in the number of things I know nothing about." - Ashleigh Ellwood Brilliant

“Try to learn something about everything and everything about something.” - Thomas Henry Huxley

>Paleontology is an evolving science.

>May your wonders never cease!

I know, right? The white ones are pretty rare from what I've been seeing in my research. It's less than 2 inches though. I have another black one that doesn't really have the serrations that this one has. I was going to give him that as the necklace but then I found this white one & decided I'd keep the black one for myself since he really likes the white ones (cuz they look more like the real thing). Though I guess we could share the black one & put the white one on a little stand. Hmmmmm...

Are you "being paranoid?" Yes.

Should you be? Well, you're a Mom that's your job.

Would I freely handle the piece you describe? Yes.

Am I a kid, who might put such an object in his mouth and chase my friends around claiming to be a shark? No.

I believe that ingestion of excessive amounts might be harmful. I also believe that someone with direct knowledge will post to address your concerns with authority.

• I found this Informative 1

Human beings, who are almost unique in having the ability to learn from the experience of others, also are remarkable for their apparent disinclination to do so. - Douglas Adams, Last Chance to See

The main danger that tooth may possess are the serrations.

It's hard to remember why you drained the swamp when your surrounded by alligators.

It isn't phosphate used in food preservation, it is nitrates, and can be toxic in low concentrations. Phosphate (PO4-3)is not toxic, but some of the metals combined with them could be.

Brent Ashcraft

ashcraft, brent allen

It isn't phosphate used in food preservation, it is nitrates, and can be toxic in low concentrations. Phosphate (PO4-3)is not toxic, but some of the metals combined with them could be.

Brent Ashcraft

Meaning metals naturally found with the phosphates? So, you think it's okay to wire wrap the tooth (the wire being metal)?

Meaning metals naturally found with the phosphates? So, you think it's okay to wire wrap the tooth (the wire being metal)?

As long as you don't use wire made of arsenic, beryllium, cadmium, lead, or one of the chromates...

All of these are toxic in and of themselves; the tooth is not.

"There has been an alarming increase in the number of things I know nothing about." - Ashleigh Ellwood Brilliant

“Try to learn something about everything and everything about something.” - Thomas Henry Huxley

>Paleontology is an evolving science.

>May your wonders never cease!

The type of phosphate (apatite) in that tooth is already widely distributed throughout your son's own musculoskeletal system.

That's a beautiful tooth. :wub:

Personally, I'd go with wrapping the black tooth you mention and keeping the white one pristine, especially as you mention the rarity of white teeth. You do also have the option of looking for a third tooth for yourself!

Whatever you do with it, I'm sure your son will be happy. That's the most important thing! :D

That's a great tooth :) I've worn mine for the last 13 years with no ill effects so far. I used to make shark tooth jewelry and wrapping my Megs in this style was really popular and thought you may like it. I use stainless steel mechanics wire and braid it before wrapping the tooth to give it a chain like look :)

post-7921-0-32442300-1445810169_thumb.jpg

Every once in a great while it's not just a big rock down there!

That's nice with the braid. I have a jewelry making kit but I've never wire-wrapped before. I'll either watch some YouTube tutorials or try to find someone who knows how to do it & throw a few euros their way. :P

That's nice with the braid. I have a jewelry making kit but I've never wire-wrapped before. I'll either watch some YouTube tutorials or try to find someone who knows how to do it & throw a few euros their way. :P

Thank you, it's not too difficult with a little practice :)

Every once in a great while it's not just a big rock down there!

I learned a simple wire-wrap technique at a gem & mineral show. It's fun! I recommend practicing on something that isn't fragile for a few pieces before wrapping a tooth.

Good luck!

Phosphate can combine with many metals. Apatite is a salt of calcium and phosphate that forms in a certain 3-D structure that has commercial value, which is why it is being mined. There will be other metals mixed in the matrix, unlikely to be a problem unless ingesting.

I once had to run a sample of oil material through a TCLP test to determine if it was hazardous. Failed for selenium, which left us scratching our head, because selenium is not found in oil samples. Turned out the material had been absorbed during cleanup with diatomaceous earth from the west coast, notorious for having selenium in it.

The odd things you find.

Brent Ashcraft

ashcraft, brent allen

So, I think you're right. I'll keep the white one on a stand & make a necklace out of yet another little light black one I just bought for $25. I'm spending WAY too much money on fossils. ;-)

Here's my new find:post-19900-0-31893700-1445824006_thumb.jpgpost-19900-0-34850700-1445824017_thumb.jpg

Edited by Jenerator