is this a fossilized egg?

staceylinn76

Probably not.... Fossil eggs are very rare, and the geology of MN suggests that you would not expect to find one there, but if it is possible to show us a close up of the texture, we may be able to tell you more about it. Oh, and by the way, I would love to be proven wrong.

• I found this Informative 1

It's a really lovely object! It resembles basalt that has spent an eon being rolled around by moving water in a 'kettle hole'.

• I found this Informative 1

"There has been an alarming increase in the number of things I know nothing about." - Ashleigh Ellwood Brilliant

“Try to learn something about everything and everything about something.” - Thomas Henry Huxley

>Paleontology is an evolving science.

>May your wonders never cease!

I think you guys are probably right. :-( Its the exact same size and shape of a chicken egg and very heavy. Kind of porous. I found it on the beach looking for skippers to throw across the water. I was only 5 and my grandpa was convinced it was a fossilized egg. In fact, he gave me a whole dollar bill for it and then gave it back to me when i turned 18. :-) we took it to a rock shop 35 years ago and the man working there said it was basalt. So, we've kept it all these years hoping the rock shop guy was wrong. :-( Thank you for your help! Ill try to get a closer picture on here. Ps, now I need to look up "kettle hole"! :-) thanks all!

Actually, I do have some rocks, from that same lake, that I found that do have fossilized shell marks in them. I took one to my 8th grade science teacher and he said it was really old. Millions or billions of years. Would they be worth giving them to someone to study? Ill add pics of those as well. :-) Thanks everyone!

This is the most perfect pseudo egg I have ever seen; with its back-story, you must cherish it dearly. :)

"There has been an alarming increase in the number of things I know nothing about." - Ashleigh Ellwood Brilliant

“Try to learn something about everything and everything about something.” - Thomas Henry Huxley

>Paleontology is an evolving science.

>May your wonders never cease!