An unknown Fish, from the place where everything is hidden

ZiggieCie

An unknown Fish, from the place where everything is hidden (the basement)

OK, it's my turn for help trying to get an ID of some sort, as to what kind of Fish this is.

I bought this guy 15 years ago at a garage sale, I know that it is a Fish in a split concretion and that is it. I have no idea where it came from, or anything else.

I was cleaning out the basement yesterday to make room, to bring my fossils in for the winter, to make room in the garage for the car, and came across a lost box that has some of my gemstones from NC, and this lost fish.

So now I hope some of our fish experts may have a clue as to what he is and where it may of come from.

Thank you in advance, Ziggie

post-13244-0-61613300-1445911230_thumb.jpg post-13244-0-64073600-1445911236_thumb.jpg

Continued:

Ps. These photos are reduced in photoshop elements to a size of 2148 X 1636, this gives photos of almost 1 meg each. When you click on the photo, it opens in a new screen and then if you click on the picture again it enlarges to almost full screen.

If you do not have PS, any free photo program will be able to reduce photos to this size in the custom option for exporting photo as a new image.

Edited by ZiggieCie

A few more.

Now on this top photo, a piece of the gill cover is missing and this frilly piece looks more like a piece of gill than a front fin, or am I just wishing.

post-13244-0-14916700-1445911789_thumb.jpg

post-13244-0-97203800-1445911780_thumb.jpg

It is certainly from the Cretaceous Santana Formation of Brazil. Rhacolepis is a possible ID but there is a lot of diversity known from there. Very nice fish.

Don

• I found this Informative 2

I hoped you would know, I have no info on it. A garage sale find, 15 years ago.

Two more photos of the concretion outside.

post-13244-0-53846000-1445912425_thumb.jpg post-13244-0-38802800-1445912430_thumb.jpg

I'll defer to others.

However, it looks like the Brazil specimens from the Santana Formation. Cretaceous. They have that colouring and type of preservation.

It's a real nice specimen.

Edited...FossilDawg posted ahead of me.

An aside. There is a book on fossils from the Santana put out about 30 years ago. Lots of excellent photos and info.

Edited by Ridgehiker
  • I found this Informative 1

THX Guys, I was looking through the Green river formation fish on line, and did not see anything close to this. But I do remember seeing a couple of posts on the FF about some fish from Brazil and I was thinking more along that line also. I have no experience with fish, so am checking with you guys.

I knew I had a fish somewhere, but did not know he was this nice till I checked him out today.

really nice fossil

"Absence of evidence is not evidence of absence"_ Carl Sagen

No trees were killed in this posting......however, many innocent electrons were diverted from where they originally intended to go.

" I think, therefore I collect fossils." _ Me

"When you have eliminated the impossible, whatever remains, however improbable, must be the truth."__S. Holmes

"can't we all just get along?" Jack Nicholson from Mars Attacks

Cool fish. I would agree it looks like a fish called a Rhacolepis buccalis from the Santana formation in Brazil. BUT, I wouldn't be so quick to rule out a Madagascar fish nodule.

• I found this Informative 1

~Charlie~

"There are those that look at things the way they are, and ask why.....i dream of things that never were, and ask why not?" ~RFK
->Get your Mosasaur print
->How to spot a fake Trilobite
->How to identify a CONCRETION from a DINOSAUR EGG

For sure Rhacolepis buccalis from the Santana Formation of Brazil.

Thomas

• I found this Informative 2

Be not ashamed of mistakes and thus make them crimes (Confucius, 551 BC - 479 BC).

Nice fish!It seems that garage sales are often a source to find fossils. I always wonder how these fossils end up at a garage sale.