More 10 Leggers

RJB

Guest N.AL.hunter

I tried "real" fishing. Heck, Alabama is famous for its fishing. But two things: 1. Kept feeding the fish more than they fed me 2. Always seemed to start walking around and picking up other things.

I am convinced it is easier to find quality fossils than quality fish.

• 3 weeks later...

Ok, I was going through some more photos and found this little beauty!!! I found this Raninid many years ago and didnt have the skills to prep it out. Most of the 'skin' of this carapace is on the opposing piece of rock, and it is paper thin!!! I thing once I get to it now that I just may be able to prep it out with some super duper patience? I also wonder to this day if the right arm and claw is actually there? There is plenty of rock to have it in there, but I still wonder. Anyways, I have called this guy Bullwinkle for many year because of the way the spike comming off the right side of the head forks into two spikes. I just hope the other left spike is there too? Enjoy.

Oh, I found this little guy in southern Oregon on some Eocene deposits.

RB

post-171-1202774418_thumb.jpg

I just realized that I have posted that raninid before in an earlier crab thread, but now you know a bit more about it. But here is a Tumido from New Zealand that taught me alot about prepping and has also givin me the confidence to go on the prep attack for that 'bullwinkle' crab. Ive seen quite a few prepped out tumidos and have found out that the dark colored ones are better preserved and much much easier to prep!!! Ive never seen a prepped out Tumido that is this color, and now I know why. This crab that I have is yellowish in color. It is EXTREAMLY SOFT!!! I would take my ME 9100 airscribe and get most of the rock off to a point close to the critter, and then take my ARO and use extream caution to just expose maybe a 1/8 inch area and then stop and glue. It would take hours to exspose just a square inch of critter!! It was constant 'stop and glue', stop and glue. stop and glue... Over and over and over again. I do have a bit more prep work done to this crab in this photo, but I have at least 20 more hours to go. Im guessing that once its done I will have about 80 to 90 hours into it. And not only that, but being that this Tumido is the only yellow Tumido in the intire world that is prepped out, It will be worth four hundred thirty eight thousand, three hundred seventy nine dollars and 49 cents!!! Maybe someday, I may sell it for a few bucks less? Heh,,, heh!!!

RB

post-171-1202776216_thumb.jpg

Hey Anson,, I will start prepping soon, Ive almost got the time, and I will have about 6 weeks of time to prep. You guys that prep know how you can spend an intire week of prepping and only have a couple of specimens to show for it, but I just love to prep. But here are several crab specimens that I still have to prep, but you can see how nice they are, or will be?

Oh, the elongated concretion one that is taped up is a super rare double. Its got two Longusorbis coniculosis crabs from the cretaceous from canada in it!! Just a super double specimen!!! Wow!!!

RB

post-171-1202777424_thumb.jpg

post-171-1202777473_thumb.jpg

post-171-1202777536_thumb.jpg

post-171-1202777590_thumb.jpg

post-171-1202777672_thumb.jpg

man those are HECTIC!! i guess they are on your long list of "to do's"!! that first crab is amazing! that one is going to come out noiice....cant wait to see the double, i think you should start prepping that one first! I wanna see it :lol:

"Turn the fear of the unknown into the excitment of possibility!"

We dont stop playing because we grow old, we grow old because we stop playing.