Fossil Fish ID

tb2014

The fish is from Goulmima, Morocco. The size of the specimen is 131/4" by 3" by 11/2"

I am wondering if it is Ichthyodectidae :)

post-19931-0-28478900-1446002530_thumb.jpg

Edited by tb2014

Sorry, almost impossible to tell - all fins are missing and the head is only partial. And yes, it's belly up.

It does not seem to be the most common fish there - Goulmimichthys arambourgi; Goulmimichthys has small scales and a more fusiform body (looks very similar to Rhacolepis buccalis from Brazil).

Another possibility from Goulmima would be Osmeroides sp.; this fish has rather big scales, but should have small teeth.
The rather large teeth and the scales could indicate Ichthyodectidae, but that's just a guess.

Anyway, fishes from Goulmima are rather uncommon - so congrats whatever it is!

Thomas

Nouveaux Teleostei du gisement du turonien inférieur de Goulmima Maroc.pdf

Fishes fromTuronian of Goulmima,supposed and direct evidence of trophic relationships within the marine fish community from the Lower Turonian of Goulmima,Morocco.pdf

Edited by oilshale
  • I found this Informative 1

Be not ashamed of mistakes and thus make them crimes (Confucius, 551 BC - 479 BC).

I'm afraid you too are a victim of commercialization. It looks as if was not collected and prepared in a way that would preserve important information. There is no such thing as a bad fossil though.