Ancient Viruses

Rockchopper

Ok - this topic should stir up some conversation. As I was working on prepping a Green River fossil fish, I noticed some fibers were being removed next to the fish bones by my needle vise. I assume they were 50 million year old tissue still somewhat intact. So I got to thinking that what if it contained ancient pathogens that might have somehow survived since the fish expired. Looking up on the Internet I see that scientists have discovered 30 million year old viruses that have come back to life!

The good news is that I appear to still be healthy! But... Is it possible that we fossil hunters could be exposed to something yet unknown and what could result? Just wondering. Has anyone else thought about this or have there been any studies along this line? Maybe me thinks too much!

There is no chance that you can bring a virus back to life that is 50 million years old. The virus that the scientists brought back to life were 30000 years old not 30000000 years old.

The half-life of DNA is 521 years, meaning that after 521 years, only half of the DNA will remain. The only reason the 30-thousand year old virus could be brought back is that it was frozen deep in ice, so it wasn't truly ever dead.

No need to worry about your fossils.

I stand corrected! Yes - it was 30,000 years old and frozen in ice. So good to know we don't have to worry - not that I really was. Though a comet announced on the news yesterday releasing ethanol was very interesting. Time for a cocktail!

Consider that, were it possible for pathogenic viruses to be immortal in this way, we would either be immune to them by now, or we would all be dead. ;)

"There has been an alarming increase in the number of things I know nothing about." - Ashleigh Ellwood Brilliant

“Try to learn something about everything and everything about something.” - Thomas Henry Huxley

>Paleontology is an evolving science.

>May your wonders never cease!