Pyritized Carboniferous Shark Tooth?

Fossilcollector

This is from a batch of carboniferous shark teeth I picked up at MAPS last week. I only noticed it tonight. It appears to be pyritized....

It's a Symmorium from Indiana.

How do you test for pyrite? Could it be the result of some other coloring? It's quite metallic and heavy.

What's really funny is I keep picturing a shark dentist making a gold/platinum fillling for a shark with a missing tooth... Haha.

-YvW

post-1163-1239258854_thumb.jpg

post-1163-1239258884_thumb.jpg

post-1163-1239258936_thumb.jpg

Nice tooth! It sure does look pyritised. To my experience pyrite has not proven to have magnetic properties, but the appearance and weight can be considered good indicators. I would not fool around with too many tests on it as some pyrite/marcasite can be unstable and break down upon exposure to something as simple as moisture. I lost some brachs from Texas that way.

Be true to the reality you create.

it could be possible that they have "cleaned" it witha brass brush. which will often leave that look. many ammonites from europe have the same treatment.

Brock

it could be possible that they have "cleaned" it witha brass brush. which will often leave that look. many ammonites from europe have the same treatment.

Brock

I agree with Brock. Check for other evidence it may have been buffed with a brass wheel before passing judgment. Study the surrounding matrix. :)

The human mind has the ability to believe anything is true.  -  JJ