T rex tooth?

keithmegalodon

Hello TFF,

I started looking for T rex teeth these past few months and came upon this juvenile T rex tooth. It has got no visible serrations based on the photo. I asked the seller if he could give me some clearer photos of the specimen. I hope this is really a rex tooth! Would like to ask your opinion if it looks like a t rex tooth or not.

Thank you all in advance for sharing your opinion! :)

post-17437-0-93050400-1446306054_thumb.jpg

What can you tell us about the tooth. Size and locality of where it was found.

post-10935-0-82934900-1446308591_thumb.jpg

Edit: agreed better photos are needed, need one of the bottom to see the profile of the base

Sorry troodon but i dont know the locality of the specimen yet but I do know that its 3.8cm tall. :)

Sorry cannot help you at this time with the information you've provided. A geologic formation, locality as well as additional pictures is needed to help you with an ID. Be glad to help with the additional info.

If the seller does not have or is unwilling to provide you this information I would walk away from the purchase.

I am far from an expert on any matter regarding Dino material. But in my opinion I would say no, this is not a T-Rex tooth. No serrations=no trex.

It seems more of a round tooth, like a Spinosaurus (but it's not that either).

post-14584-0-83243000-1446330447_thumb.jpg

~Charlie~

"There are those that look at things the way they are, and ask why.....i dream of things that never were, and ask why not?" ~RFK
->Get your Mosasaur print
->How to spot a fake Trilobite
->How to identify a CONCRETION from a DINOSAUR EGG

Let me clarify the ID. This is a tyrannosaurid tooth. Only issue is what species and it will require the info requested in my post to determine that. Serrations size are undetermined but worst case they are worn but may not be needed for an ID,

Let me clarify the ID. This is a tyrannosaurid tooth. Only issue is what species and it will require the info requested in my post to determine that. Serrations size are undetermined but worst case they are worn but may not be needed for an ID,

I'm not so sure of that even. The interior structure exposed by the break at the lower right seems off to me. Does it vary that much ?

That's a typical break on a theropod tooth

In mine the layer with a longitudinal texture is thinner and the bulk of the interior has more of a radial make up.

I own a T-Rex tooth and a defining feature aside from its length and geologic strata of origin that exclusively contains T-Rex as a tyrannosaurid is the D shape of the tooth in side view along with the size/count of serrations per cementer (10 - 15) for T-Rex.

Check this fossil site for pictures to compare: https://www.paleodirect.com/dt18-079-trex-t-rex-tyrannosaurus-tooth-fossils-teeth/

Archived