Triceratops Was A Social Animal, Group Of Dinosaur Fossils Suggests

Traviscounty

Even if they died in the same flood, it doesn't mean they associated with each other in life.

"There has been an alarming increase in the number of things I know nothing about." - Ashleigh Ellwood Brilliant

“Try to learn something about everything and everything about something.” - Thomas Henry Huxley

>Paleontology is an evolving science.

>May your wonders never cease!

Even if they died in the same flood, it doesn't mean they associated with each other in life.

Excellent point. I can expand on this, as I read the actual article in JVP yesterday. The three specimens are not very complete, and consist of a few dozen bones total. This could likely indicate a transported assemblage.

Also, they interpreted the sandstone as an overwash or crevasse splay deposit, which is basically where the flood originates from. However, the coarsest material in the bed of the river (often bones, teeth, and gravel) flows out with this crevasse splay; thus these deposits can trend strongly towards being allochthonous (i.e. transported remains of things that did not live or die together).

Bobby

• 3 weeks later...
Guest Nicholas

ScienceDaily (Mar. 24, 2009) — Until now, Triceratops was thought to be unusual among its ceratopsid relatives. While many ceratopsids—a common group of herbivorous dinosaurs that lived toward the end of the Cretaceous—have been found in enormous bonebed deposits of multiple individuals, all known Triceratops (over 50 in total) fossils have been solitary individuals

Find the article HERE!

<EDIT: Merged for continuity>

You realy don't know the meaning of the term Bone Bed.

Until you have seen the like of Montana and or here in

Southern Alberta. You have to see to beleave B)

PS: thanks for the posting

Archived