Back Yard Surprise.... Palm Wood!

kerryrocksnla

All the times I've been out Rock Hounding, Fossil Hunting all over the place, and never ever could I find Palm Wood. But after all the rain surprisingly enough there it was!!! Right in my own backyard! We have a place where people dump old houses they've torn down & trees that have been cut down. And right there it was this piece of palmwood. Granted I don't know where it came from but I do know where it ended up! Only I don't know how long its been there but apparently it was there during some of the burning of the old houses & wood, because the back side is black as you can see. Its ok with me though, for it has a new home now to be cherished!post-16371-0-27788400-1446412999_thumb.jpgpost-16371-0-62949800-1446413016_thumb.jpgpost-16371-0-99107300-1446413031_thumb.jpgpost-16371-0-99785100-1446413046_thumb.jpgpost-16371-0-80861400-1446413102_thumb.jpg

Central Louisiana Rock/Fossil Hunter! ;)

I thought the pictures were going to turn out better than this.... Ugh!

Dang! Right there in your yard?

Nice piece!

post-423-0-14862100-1446414517_thumb.jpg

"There has been an alarming increase in the number of things I know nothing about." - Ashleigh Ellwood Brilliant

“Try to learn something about everything and everything about something.” - Thomas Henry Huxley

>Paleontology is an evolving science.

>May your wonders never cease!

Very nice, can't beat a good hunt close to the house : )

Every once in a great while it's not just a big rock down there!

Yes, and actually we found another piece that was larger than this one.

Good for you!

When I'm walking by a house, etc. I will often glance quickly at any rocks that may be lining a sidewalk, garden edge etc. The previous owner, 3 owners back, etc. may have been a rock or fossil collector. Big specimens may have been put outside and forgotten.

A few members of our rockhounding group have passed on over the decades. Family often have no idea of what has been collected. A lot of good stuff ends up what we call 'driveway gravel'.

I was at a friend's house once and her son, a geologist, had collected big chunks of ichthyosaur in matrix. She was moving and this was almost left behind under the porch...it would have just been boring grey rocks to the new owner.

Congratulation on your find. You never know what around the house. Reminds me of this find that made the news and was posted on the forum last year. So always keep looking you never know.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/local/md-family-uncovers-15-million-year-old-shark-skeleton-during-backyard-dig/2014/11/07/931435f8-66c4-11e4-bb14-4cfea1e742d5_story.html

Good for you!

When I'm walking by a house, etc. I will often glance quickly at any rocks that may be lining a sidewalk, garden edge etc. The previous owner, 3 owners back, etc. may have been a rock or fossil collector. Big specimens may have been put outside and forgotten.

A few members of our rockhounding group have passed on over the decades. Family often have no idea of what has been collected. A lot of good stuff ends up what we call 'driveway gravel'.

I was at a friend's house once and her son, a geologist, had collected big chunks of ichthyosaur in matrix. She was moving and this was almost left behind under the porch...it would have just been boring grey rocks to the new owner.

Wow that would have been a big loss

"Or speak to the earth, and let it teach you" Job 12:8

• 2 weeks later...

Congrats on your discovery!

Almost appears to be NA debitage.

You may have an arrowhead in your yard somewhere. Keep your eyes peeled!

9er

Archived