Mazon creek fossils

PRK

Both!!!!

Tullys have a much higher economic value, but both are amazing.

Somewhere, something incredible is waiting to be known.–Carl Sagan

The Tully wins the enigmatic critter award, but the shrimp is instantly and universally recognizable.

Among the collecting cognoscente, the Tully would probably go first; to the general public, it would get a "Huh?".

"There has been an alarming increase in the number of things I know nothing about." - Ashleigh Ellwood Brilliant

“Try to learn something about everything and everything about something.” - Thomas Henry Huxley

>Paleontology is an evolving science.

>May your wonders never cease!

What are the theories on the Tully monster? I kind of think it looks like a large leech.

This is a really good thread to read.

Regards,

Tim    -  VETERAN SHALE SPLITTER

MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png      PaleoPartner.png.30c01982e09b0cc0b7d9d6a7a21f56c6.png.a600039856933851eeea617ca3f2d15f.png     Postmaster1.jpg.900efa599049929531fa81981f028e24.jpg    VFOTM.png.f1b09c78bf88298b009b0da14ef44cf0.png  VFOTM  --- APRIL - 2015  

John Muir ~ ~ ~ ~   ><))))( *>  About Me      

I guess it all depends on what you're choosing it for.

Could you be more specific with your question, please?

~Charlie~

"There are those that look at things the way they are, and ask why.....i dream of things that never were, and ask why not?" ~RFK
->Get your Mosasaur print
->How to spot a fake Trilobite
->How to identify a CONCRETION from a DINOSAUR EGG

I'd take the tully, because you have both halves. Which, in my opinion, makes it a better acquisition. They are both; however, beautiful specimens.

Finding my way through life; one fossil at a time.

I am getting rid of one

Looks like tully might be the keeper?

That's what I would do. Tully's can only be found in a tiny region of Illinois. Nowhere else on earth have they found. Fossilized shrimp show up in many formations across the world spanning eons. It would be a no brainier for me to keep the tully. :).

That's what I would do. Tully's can only be found in a tiny region of Illinois. Nowhere else on earth have they found. Fossilized shrimp show up in many formations across the world spanning eons. It would be a no brainier for me to keep the tully. :).

Well said! I 100% agree.

~Charlie~

"There are those that look at things the way they are, and ask why.....i dream of things that never were, and ask why not?" ~RFK
->Get your Mosasaur print
->How to spot a fake Trilobite
->How to identify a CONCRETION from a DINOSAUR EGG

I would agree. Coprinoscolex ellogimus. It's now designated as an echiuran, and no longer believed to be related to the leech.

Yes, now that I think back, it was coprinoscolex. i guess the only change is it a not a leech

Edited by PRK

In the future, I surely think I can replace a nice shrimp before a nice tully

Edited by PRK

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks for your help--- all. Now I need your help once again

Which would you choose? I really like 'em both!

post-9950-0-79417600-1447786640_thumb.jpg

post-9950-0-09446600-1447786660_thumb.jpg

Edited by PRK

It would kill me to give up either one, but I'd eventually recover if I still had the chiton.

"There has been an alarming increase in the number of things I know nothing about." - Ashleigh Ellwood Brilliant

“Try to learn something about everything and everything about something.” - Thomas Henry Huxley

>Paleontology is an evolving science.

>May your wonders never cease!

At the end of the day, I think the chiton is rarer than the horseshoe crab. That's the one I'd keep as it would be harder to replace.

Are you selling these off? I've dreamed of having a decent Mazon Creek fossil or 20 in my collection. Maybe one of these days I'll make it up that way.

Don

BTW did I mention you are killing me with these choices? I'd rather part with a kidney than anything you've shown in this thread.

Edited by FossilDAWG

Thanks aus-n- don. but where are the mazon people? WELL it's certainly going to be a difficult decision with only two opinions? Can I have a few more?

Edited by PRK

Hi Paul, you are killing me with this thread too. Difficult choices. I've always thought the Mesolimulus from Solnhofen were very cool and Euproops was a close backup l since I was a kid. Both are very special finds you have there. I'm not sure what the segmented thing on the right is--its especially neat...is that an arthropod or maybe some chiton like critter?....

Ahh, dang...I've seen more of the horseshoe crabs before so I pick the thing on the right!

Regards, Chris