My Jurassic Park - United States

Troodon

• 2 months later...
On 12/28/2017 at 5:03 PM, Panzer said:

Thanks for the info, if so that's extremely interesting. I've worked on ceratopsians for a number of years, based on what is preserved I would say it's some kind of non-pachyrhinosaurin eucentrosaurans (i.e. akin to Centrosaurus, Styracosaurus or Spinops), but withouth a frill is impossible to be more precise. Coming from Texas, where no centrosaurine are actually known, it's very likely that belong to a new taxon (I've read here that you know David Evans from the ROM, I'm sure he'll be interested!)

BTW, great specimens, thanks for sharing them :)

FYI, David Evans and Michael Ryan will be visiting me before the SVP meeting in Albuquerque to see this skull.  So there is interest. 

• 2 weeks later...

This collection is just amazing! There is no other words I can use to describe it. Im speechless! :drool:

I would like to ask how long it took younto build up your collection of dinosaur fossils and where you aquired these fossils from (Collected from sites, bought from stores, mineral shows?)

Thanks,

Daniel

44 minutes ago, DanKurek said:

This collection is just amazing! There is no other words I can use to describe it. Im speechless! :drool:

I would like to ask how long it took younto build up your collection of dinosaur fossils and where you aquired these fossils from (Collected from sites, bought from stores, mineral shows?)

Thanks,

Daniel

Thank you.  I've been collecting for about 25 years so it does not happen overnight.  I collect primarily from sites in the Hell Creek/Lance Formations so the specific material you see on this thread is acquired.  My other "My Jurassic Park"  topics and my museum is a mixture of collected and acquired.  Back before the internet the best way to see and purchase fossils was to attend local fossil shows and the big one in Tucson.  At these shows I developed relationships with dealers that still exist today and which gives me good access to rarer fossils.  Even today the best Dinosaurs material is obtained at the Tucson show from dealers who do not have online sites.  The internet has allowed me to expand my horizon to Europe and develop those relationships.   Its all about connections and relationships.

• I found this Informative 3

Hey Frank just spotted your fossil house . Wow incredible lovey specimens and really interestingly displayed. I have spent my lunch time looking through this thread. I love your museum   :wub: . Thank you sharing. All the best bobby 

• I found this Informative 1

18 minutes ago, Bobby Rico said:

Hey Frank just spotted your fossil house . Wow incredible lovey specimens and really interestingly displayed. I have spent my lunch time looking through this thread. I love your museum   :wub: . Thank you sharing. All the best bobby 

Thanks Bobby hope you enjoyed your lunch.  Its my little museum that I can play with what displayed not just look at it.  It's okay to touch :D

• I found this Informative 2

1 hour ago, Troodon said:

Thanks Bobby hope you enjoyed your lunch.  Its my little museum that I can play with what displayed not just look at it.

You just described one of my dreams . As much as I love fossils also love museums and galleries, it is the relationships between objects in a collection I find fascinating. The only word that I can think of when looking at a collection like yours is wonderment . :D

That collection is incredible! Words cannot describe how well you've layed your fossil room out. Really cool.

That museum is one of the nicest and most exciting private museums I have ever seen. 

Simply jaw dropping. :)

(not that I would touch any of your jaws let alone drop them) .

Life's Good!

Tortoise Friend.

MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png.a47e14d65deb3f8b242019b3a81d8160-1.png.60b8b8c07f6fa194511f8b7cfb7cc190.png

Thank you @Pemphix @Bone guy and @Tidgy's Dad

33 minutes ago, Tidgy's Dad said:

That museum is one of the nicest and most exciting private museums I have ever seen. 

Simply jaw dropping. :)

(not that I would touch any of your jaws let alone drop them) .

Its fun and everyone who visits its makes the same jaw dropping comment.  

1 minute ago, Troodon said:

Thank you @Pemphix @Bone guy and @Tidgy's Dad

Its fun and everyone who visits its makes the same jaw dropping comment.  

Hmmmm. 

And everyone thinks they're the first. 

Ain't it always the tooth. 

Life's Good!

Tortoise Friend.

MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png.a47e14d65deb3f8b242019b3a81d8160-1.png.60b8b8c07f6fa194511f8b7cfb7cc190.png

• 9 months later...
12 minutes ago, Troodon said:

My first Dinosaur specimen from Kansas.  .:D

Niiobrarasaurus.thumb.jpg.b902239831432c5ae06293dbcfa29cc7.jpg

Very nice Frank, another incredible piece of Earth's history added to your collection :D

Wow have not seen any Niobrarasaurus material in a private collection, congratulations on your acquisition. Perfect home for it.

2 hours ago, Troodon said:

My first Dinosaur specimen from Kansas.  .:D

Niiobrarasaurus.thumb.jpg.b902239831432c5ae06293dbcfa29cc7.jpg

Niobrara material is cool...nice rare, fossil :dinothumb:

Another dinosaur I've never seen before. A lovely new addition to your collection.

Looking forward to meeting my fellow Singaporean collectors! Do PM me if you are a Singaporean, or an overseas fossil-collector coming here for a holiday!

On 6/29/2017 at 4:27 AM, Troodon said:

Here are a few more

20170629_040852.thumb.jpg.a956a9718b5ba5916a92ec99d554d665.jpg20170629_040643.thumb.jpg.65e4fee6d4e8d846d8eeac354aa68483.jpg20170629_041538.thumb.jpg.6f0469825bdf57778241585a68da4b15.jpg20170629_040715.thumb.jpg.840b7b8c87e953a7873aba589503c0c3.jpg20170629_040740.thumb.jpg.4043ef5fb38f642eddec86e803e574d7.jpg

My goodness this is just incredible. Amazing collection and I love your museum.

14 hours ago, Dinoguy89 said:

Very nice Frank, another incredible piece of Earth's history added to your collection :D

14 hours ago, TyBoy said:

Wow have not seen any Niobrarasaurus material in a private collection, congratulations on your acquisition. Perfect home for it.

10 hours ago, -Andy- said:

Another dinosaur I've never seen before. A lovely new addition to your collection.

Thanks guys always looking to add different items to my collection, love the challenge

10 hours ago, fossilsonwheels said:

My goodness this is just incredible. Amazing collection and I love your museum.

Thank you, always a pleasure to take both collectors and non collectors through it and see their expressions

My guess is shock and awe is the expression you see most often :)

• 4 weeks later...

Troodon,

Somehow, I've missed this thread all this time.  You have a great museum room.  It reminds me of Gordon Hubbell's private shark museum.  I say "private" but he invites individuals he knows and schoolkids.  The only other thing you could add would be maybe a poster or two or some other artwork, maybe.  A Douglas Henderson work, the one of Tyrannosaurus following some Triceratops in a stream comes to mind.  He used to sell prints on online but I didn't see any a few weeks ago.

There are so many unusual specimens, but perhaps the most incredible one is that claw from the Arundel Clay.  I've never seen Early Cretaceous anything from that area but to find a claw?  Wow.  I can only assume it was one of those temporary sites that opened up due to construction and then was gone within weeks.  You might remember that Largo site in the 90's.  Some shark, ray, and bony fish stuff came out of that - always a tiny chance of a dinosaur tooth or bone coming out of a marine site as in the case of your Tombigbee find.  I've seen Tombigbee stuff from Mississippi as well but it was all shark and ray.

Years ago (early 90's?), Geological Enterprises had an Acrocanthrosaurus skeleton and maybe one extra tooth and that was it as far as that kind of material being available for sale.

Some on the forum might not be aware that you're into sharks too but they know now from your nice array of rare specimens like all those hexanchids.  I see you ended up with the Carmel Valley Hexanchus.  That was an oddball find for the site otherwise known for pea crab impressions, and yes, the only other shark tooth known from there was a Galeocerdo collected at least ten years before.  I never saw the tiger - just heard about it.  

Your Sharktooth Hill display looks great.  The megs are fantastic but I'm particularly impressed by the large shark vertebrae.  Those are very rare and then it's a whole other level of rarity to find one in that condition.  And you have two!  Those ray plates look great - tough to dig one up with that many medial teeth and have any lateral teeth still attached.  I won't bug you for a close-up.

And yes, you can find only so much on the web though I have been surprised by what some collectors in rather remote areas have acquired.  Otherwise, you do need to attend shows regularly and build relationships with some people in person.  They are the kind of people who like looking you in the eye and shaking your hand. 

Jess

@siteseer

Appreciate your comments Jess, Thank you.  I've never had an opportunity to see Gordon's private collection but I hear its pretty cool.  The web indeed only gets you so far and most of my collection is either self collected or through relationships I've made at shows or through the Web.  The best dealers are at shows and few bother with web sites.  The next time you attend the Tucson show stop by and I will give you a tour just 25 minutes away.

A couple of other views showing some photos...dig sites over the years  

20190327_180132_20190327181702426.thumb.jpg.2cfe14313e7dc0dfce5abe4c1f6b70f1.jpg

20190327_180121.thumb.jpg.ac28d370c5b9651715b113c65f2683c1.jpg

• I found this Informative 7

Troodon,

Yeah, that's just the kind of stuff to add to a wall or two.  Those dig photos, National Geographics, stamp sheets, etc. are great.  Over the years, I've picked up a variety of toys, trading cards, postcards, etc. as well.  Do you remember that one year when Black Hills was selling those Chocalosaurs, the little snap-together models of prehistoric animals?  They sold a ton of those at the Ramada (the old one that stopped being a show over by the Co-op on Oracle).  I remember when the show got slow, and I was watching the booth for our mutual dinosaur friend, another dealer and I would go over to Black Hills and buy another few of those models.  We did it every hour or two.  I have a pile of those in a box somewhere.

Yeah, I've met some great dealers at shows.  Some of them are old friends now and some have passed away.

I will definitely take you up on your offer.  Thanks.

Jess

• 1 year later...