Odds And Ends

RJB

Ha!!! You guys are funny!!! You should ask my wife if I have any patients? Actually, I do have much more patients now, but not too long ago I would get soooooooooooooo upset when things didnt work out the way its suposed to work out and that how I invented some new cuss words!!! I was the kind of guy who wanted to rush things and get the end results as fast as I could! I would airscribe up to 11 hours in one sitting!!! Now, I do have more patients and do a better prep job because of it. It took me many years to learn to slow down. But still, when a crab leg comes to a stop in the rock before its supposed to, I still get upset and some cuss words do flow freely. you dont want any of your kids to be watching me when Im prepping?!! HA!!!

RB

^^^^HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAH^^^^!!!

"Turn the fear of the unknown into the excitment of possibility!"

We dont stop playing because we grow old, we grow old because we stop playing.

Here is another very unusual fossil. I found this HUGE vert in a hamburger shaped concretion on the same river bar as that dolphin ulna but on a different day in the late summer on the Vanduzen River in Humboldt County in Northern California. It is probably the only vert this size, (about 4 inches across) that has ever been found in not only that part of the state, but most likely most of the western coast!!! It is truly huge!!! And I donated it to the county park that I found it by. Enjoy.

RB

post-171-1201039817_thumb.jpg

oh nice!! *drool*!

Wish i could find some verts around me! nice find, do you know what it came from??

Lucky County Park is all i have to say!!! haha

I was told that it must have come from a large shark or sword fish. Quite rare from northern cal. But really Kauffy, I could have sold that on ebay for some bucks, but then it would have been a dust collector on somebodys fossil shelf, so it is nice to have it at a place where lots of people can see it and begin to realize just what kind of ancient life used to live on those parts. and no, I am not a rich person. Im always broke!!!

RB

Nice pearls!! I was beginning to wonder if anyone else had found any. I live in Texas and I have 3 fossils pearls in my collection. Kamp Ranch Pearls, from the Eagle Ford Formation. Some of the coolest things I have found to date, and almost the smallest. The biggest one I have is 13mm, but not shiney like yours. I'll have to find my pics and show em to ya

justin

RJB, I really like your fossil collection and the way that you hunt some of them too cool stuff. :Thumbs-up:

It's my bone!!!

RJB, where is that site 45 mins north of Eureka?

We were going to meet up a few years ago when you lived there but I missed it.

David.

RJB, where is that site 45 mins north of Eureka?

We were going to meet up a few years ago when you lived there but I missed it.

David.

Hey Mr David. Send me an email and I will give you some info. Your name does sound familiar, but I use to talk to sooooo many poeple that I cant remember them all?

RB

I found these two little bones at Moonstone in Humboldt County in Northern California. I found them within inches of each other which was amazing. This layer of fossils is at least 30 feet thick and maybe much thicker? But its absoltly loaded with fossils!! Mostly made up of mussels and clams and echinoids and gastros and a few other things just packed together in one huge gigantic layer, but once in awhile you find something much different than the so called common stuff. Im told that these bones are from a sea otter. I dont know if they are carpals or tarsals, and I donated them to the Sierra Natural Museum before I moved.

RB

post-171-1201298429_thumb.jpg

Here is an earbone of a whale that I found a very long time ago way up a creek at Scotia Bluffs in Humboldt County in Northern California from Pliocene deposits. I was able to dig it ouf of some rather soft sandstone and able to clean it up with water and toothbrush. In the first pic you can see two different parts of this ear. I didnt glue the two parts back together because of the very small attachment point where I know apon picking it up would break it. I was told, I think, Tempanic bula. or something like that, and again, I donated it before I moved. Im not sure about earbones in other parts of the world, but was told that finding a complete one is rather rare. It certainly is rare in northern california!!!

RB

post-171-1201299593_thumb.jpg

post-171-1201299626_thumb.jpg

Ok,, here is another of one of my 'odds and ends' fossils. It is a razor clam found in the Scotia Sandstone Formation. These are actually very hard to find complete! This is only one valve but it is perfect. Being that the shell on these things are very very thin, it is very hard to get them without them falling apart. This one is very whitish in color and not brown like most making it look like I just picked one off the beach and glued it to this rock? But this one was on some very soft sandstone and I was able to clean it with a toothbrush. Its sittin on a rock that is loaded with a small clams known as Sophidia lordi. Just underneath is very very hard like cement rock with thousands of these little lordi clams. This is one heck of a nice razor clam! Very hard to come by complete!

RB

post-171-1201304031_thumb.jpg

Cool stuff Keep posting.

Hey Anson, Thanks, but I can only keep posting for so long. Im going to have to start prepping so I can post some more photos of new stuff. Im running out of pictures on my computer. The thing is, I cant start prepping until I get my new 220 electrical hooked up in my garage, and I am having a heck of a time trying to find an electrician. The first guy gave up on me for some reason and the second guy has not called me back!! I had no idea it would be this hard to find an electrician!!!??? But once that is done, I will start posting some more nice fossil stuff. I still may have a few more neato fossil to post though? It really sucks that I lost soooooo many fossil photos from a few years ago. I will just have to make more with my fossil prep soon?

RB

A very long time ago, maybe 8 or 9 years, I took a freind of mine fossil hunting to a very unknown site way up in the mountains from the coast of Eureka California. No one seems to know the age of this site, but im guessing its early or middle Pliocene? We did some fossil hunting and I actually found a meta carpal or tarsal of a bear or pig? Im still not sure, but its already donated to the Sierre Natural History Museum. We also found some really nice and rare gastropods that I call "pumpkin snails" and a few other neato but more common stuff and went back home. Once home I realized that my so called freind had left my very expensive Estwing pick hammer there. I new I had to go back and find it, so the next day I left early in the morning, (that way I could still make it back to work in time). I actually found it, but decided to drive up the road a ways more just to check out more of the formation. Ive checked out the upper parts before but never found anything. Most of it is just trees and bushes. But this time, a huge slide had happend and even came across the road. I stopped and hiked up to all the "fresh stuff' to check it out. It was one of those places that was all forested, but was now newly exposed for the first time in maybe thousands of years? Within a couple of minutes I found these pieces of 'something' that I was not sure of!! But it looked super exciting. Once home I cleaned each and every piece and stabilized them and started puting it back together. Wow!!! I knew it looked very elephant!!!?? I even took it to the Humboldt State University and they told me, "Elephant". But before I moved here to Montana, Mr. Dr. Hilton of the Sierra Natural History Museum that I donated it to, told me that it is most likely from a very large female walrus!!! Wow!!! And all because my buddy had lost one of my hammers!!! HA!! Talk about a freak happening!!! It even got me on the local news! I have to say, that was fun!!! Enjoy.

RB

post-171-1201388856_thumb.jpg

WOW i missed quite a bit RB!

Nice bones and shells, man i would like to find some stuff like that....sweet razor clam!

Thanks

Chris

Probably a stupid question, but is that bone...or ivory? Both elephants and walrus' have both :P

Hey Ron! Nice to see some more pictures of some of your old material. I remember seeing quite a bit of that stuff at the Chapman's Rock shop. I still gotta write them a letter asking them to donate the tusk to Sierra College.

Anyway, that tusk is certainly ivory. Darn Ron, you've found some nice stuff, man. Oh by the way - that ulna you found in the concretion - thats from a small Balaenopterid whale, based on the shape.

Maybe I should post a photo of your rock with the fur seal mandibles in it, since this thread is all about your stuff... I've still got a bunch of your stuff out on loan, ya know! I'm gonna write a grant next week to get it all molded and casted, and I can possibly make casts for you of some of your stuff.

Bobby

Hey Bob, great to see ya. Thanks for straitening me out on some of that. Ive found so much stuff I cant keep it all strait! And yeah, Now that you mention it, I still have some pics of that jaw in one of my files? By the way, did you ever get ahold of the folks at Chapmans to see if they would donate any of my stuff? Just wondering.

RB