Odds And Ends

RJB

When I found the first one of these, I thought that it was just a piece of bone that had been tossed around by the ocean for awhile and figured it was just a piece of worn out bone. But then I finaly found another one, and over time a 3rd and a 4th. I still dont know what these are, but I was told by someone that maybe they were the (fingernail claws) of turtles? I still dought that? I donated these, but still wonder what the heck they are. Lots of bone guys here on this forum, anyone have any ideas? These were found in the Moonstone Formation in Humboldt County in Northern Califorina and are between 950,000 and 1.5 million years old. Depends on who you talk to?

RB

post-171-1202773378_thumb.jpg

post-171-1202773434_thumb.jpg

post-171-1202773466_thumb.jpg

YEEW! they look kinda claw'y.....although i dont have a clue, great finds as usual Ron! keep posting you crazy rock nut!

"Turn the fear of the unknown into the excitment of possibility!"

We dont stop playing because we grow old, we grow old because we stop playing.

• 2 weeks later...

Every time I get on my computer I see this little double fossil that I found years ago. Its sitting right alongside my monitor. I thought I would share. Its a little tiny 1 inch leaf and a little tiny bug of some sort directly under the stem, from the parachute member of the Green River Formation. These photos really dont do it justice, and you guys know what I mean. If you could take a jewelers loup to this, you could see all the fine detail, the detail is really quite nice!!!,,, but I did the best I could with my camera. For a nothing of a fossil, its purty dang cool!

RB

post-171-1203635827_thumb.jpg

post-171-1203635881_thumb.jpg

post-171-1203635945_thumb.jpg

Guest Nicholas

A really nice fern, you can tell the picture doesn't do it justice though. I think your bug friend on that matrix may be a cricket unless there are wings that I cannot see in the photo.. hard to tell from here. Thanks for sharing!

A really nice fern, you can tell the picture doesn't do it justice though. I think your bug friend on that matrix may be a cricket unless there are wings that I cannot see in the photo.. hard to tell from here. Thanks for sharing!

Hey Nicholas, I have no idea as to what kind of leaf that is, but if you could hold this rock in your hand, you would see that that little bug does have one wing, bent back up coming by the side of its head and protruding forward at a slant. But still cool.

RB

Hey RB... think those possible turtle claws are really cool. I think they do look

like one I saw on the web. What do you think?

... EDIT: deleted..

Welcome to the forum!

Hey RB... think those possible turtle claws are really cool. I think they do look

like one I saw on the web. What do you think?

... EDIT: deleted..

Hey Roz. I still dont know what they are. I donated them to the Sierra Natural History museum. Maybe Bobby boessinecker has an Idea? It would be very interesting to find out.

RB

Hey Ron,

About those turtle claws. I saw those all when I visited Sierra College, and I have no idea what they are. Would be interesting if they are turtle, especially given the Pleistocene Age.

Someone actually needs to spend quite a bit more time studying the Moonstone Beach Fm, because there are all sorts of different age estimates.

Also, sometime I'd like to visit your locality to do some more fieldwork. Problem is that its usually only good during the winter, from what I hear. Also, at some point I'm very interested in publishing descriptions of the sea otter material you collected, and some other sea otter stuff at HSU.

Also, your bird stuff from that site is really cool.

Bobby

Yo Bob,, It really would be cool to find out what those 'turtle' things are. I found those many many years ago and am still wondering to this day. And yeah, it depends on who you talk to about the age of moonstone? Ive heard from 950,000 all the way up to 3 million, but I would think much younger than 3 million. And yep, those bird bones really are cool! I also found a coricoid, (spelling) up in the mountains at the falore formation about 7 million years old, but I think the chapmans have that? I really do miss my old fossil hunting stomping grounds.

RB