Segnosaurus Egg- Is It Real?

HamptonsDoc

I've been on the hunt for a Segnosaurus egg for the past few months and I recently received an "egg" that was listed on the Dutch version of eBay.

The original listing is as follows:

"A unique offer an original egg of a Segnosaurus.sp. in volcanic rock and tested for authenticity.

The egg comes from an antique German collection.

Condities: Some eggshells be repaired but otherwise good.
The egg is found in Central Asia (exact location is not known)
The rock is volcanic (Sulfer smell) with iron and pyrite Sulfur in air sample authenticity features.
The size is 13 X 9.5 cm (but the egg was squashed!)
Weight:590 gr. (without packing material)"

post-19603-0-04840700-1446662092_thumb.jpg post-19603-0-17009700-1446662091_thumb.jpg post-19603-0-42331400-1446662090_thumb.jpg post-19603-0-32897300-1446662089_thumb.jpg

​From the pictures its obvious the egg wasn't in the best condition but I still purchased it for several reasons: It was cheap (paid under $100), I was curious to see what it looked like in person, and the visible texture on the egg reminded me of oviraptor but that with the sulfur smell that is described made me think that maybe this is an Indian egg as I believe most of them are found in volcanic rock.

I received the egg after about three weeks and it looks just like it does in the pictures from the listing. One observation that is not noticeable in the pictures is small gold sparkles on the less shell covered underside. I'm not sure what this egg is. Is it Segnosaurus? Is it Indian? Is it a composite of raptor egg glued to a rock and painted?

What do you guys think?

???"Volcanic rock"???

That leaves me with many questions...

"There has been an alarming increase in the number of things I know nothing about." - Ashleigh Ellwood Brilliant

“Try to learn something about everything and everything about something.” - Thomas Henry Huxley

>Paleontology is an evolving science.

>May your wonders never cease!

???"Volcanic rock"???

That leaves me with many questions...

According to Sahni et el.'s article entitled "upper cretaceous dinosaur eggs and nesting sites from the Deccan volcano- sedimentary province of peninsular India," as printed in chapter 13 of Dinosaur Eggs and Babies by Carpenter, it seems like many Dinosaur eggs found in the indian subcontinent are found in sediment layers between volcanic lava flow. That is why I thought that perhaps this "sulfur smelling" egg could possibly from a site such as that.

Of course this also reminds me of my second grade diorama of a volcano covered in toy dinosaurs... :D

This is what a Segnosaurus egg should look like.

post-10935-0-92619900-1446663958_thumb.jpg

Your egg looks like shells assembled to look like an egg. I'm looking for dimple patterns to cross between shell section and just cannot find them. The shell dimples are also much higher that mine.

Not sure what to say it may be real but its hard to confirm it with your photos. The Volcanic rock comment is odd but not if it's from India

Edited by Troodon
  • I found this Informative 1

Take a look at the dimple patterns in the shells, some are sharp and distinct next to ones that are flat. That makes no sense.

I would get back to your supplier and see if he can add something to the discussion. I'll say this if it's from India you'll be hard pressed to find anyone with any knowledge of this egg.

Take a look at the dimple patterns in the shells, some are sharp and distinct next to ones that are flat. That makes no sense.

I questioned that also while examining it. I just emailed him to see what further information I can obtain.

Thank you for the picture of your egg, its a beautiful specimen! That is the quality I am searching for to add to my collection.

I have the book and was reading up on, it pretty cool area. It's a shame there are no images of eggs from that region.

Well if it's really from India that is a super find and if you can authenticate it, that's a great piece to have.

Looks like an "egg" made out of turtle shell.

I would also vote for turtle shell.

Edited by oilshale

Be not ashamed of mistakes and thus make them crimes (Confucius, 551 BC - 479 BC).