Cretaceous, santonian, Himeura formation, Japan

David in Japan

Hi,

Here is a stuff I found in Himenoura formation, Amakusa Japan.

I don't know what to think about that. It was originally part of a big shale boulder on the shore. What caught my attentio at the begining was the colour. With morning humidity it was an orange/pink spot on a big black rock.

The matrix is shale, period is santonian and this formation is a marine formation.

I am still thinking it is kind of very weathered bivalve but maybe I am missing something important that more experienced people could probably notice.

view from above

post-19424-0-55078000-1446724189_thumb.jpg

view from the side

post-19424-0-97700400-1446724182_thumb.jpg

It is perfectly round like a jacket button and I don't know if you will be able to see it on the above picture but there are perfectly alined hole (you can see 3 holes)

What do you think about that ? do you see more than a weathered bivalve ?

~~~~~~~~~~~~〇~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Warmest greetings from Kumamoto、 Japan

I cannot make anything out of it; it could even be a concretion.

"There has been an alarming increase in the number of things I know nothing about." - Ashleigh Ellwood Brilliant

“Try to learn something about everything and everything about something.” - Thomas Henry Huxley

>Paleontology is an evolving science.

>May your wonders never cease!

Thank you Auspex, yesterday I went to the same place and now this case is clear, it is a weathered urchin fragment.

Found there a little less weathered fragment yesterday. same appearance, same colour.

I can now say without mistake that it is an urchin.

~~~~~~~~~~~~〇~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Warmest greetings from Kumamoto、 Japan

Archived